Ron grumbled indistinctively.

‘ But what about “ Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes” ?’ Harry asked.

‘O don’t worry about the shop; Verity and Norman are looking after it.’

There was a silence and Hermione spoke: ‘ well, I think it’s wonderful that you’ve decided to finish your year.’

Fred smiled at her but George looked surprised. ‘ O… hello Hermione,’ he said, ‘I didn’t see you there.’A blush seemed to have appeared on his face, or was it the glow of the fire? Playing tricks on her eyes?

‘ Hello,’ she said. He came closer, until he stood next to her: ‘what are you working on?’

‘Ancient Runes.’ She simply answered.

He grimaced:’ Ancient Runes huh? How are you doing, by the way?’

Hermione looked up: ‘I’m fine, thank you. Why?’ At this he backed away a little, ruffling his hair with his hand.

‘ O , you know. Just making sure you’re all right. Just casual conversation.’

Hermione pulled up one eyebrow.

‘ But I’m off to bed. Good night.’ He winked at her and went straight to the stairs of the boys’ dormitory.

A few seconds later his brother followed. Hermione frowned, why had George been acting so strange?

But then she shook her head and focused herself back on her homework.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A week later Hermione was sitting at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall. The golden rays of the October sun were shining through the magical ceiling and gave the Hall an orange glow.

She had just finished her breakfast and was flipping through the pages of “The Daily Prophet.

‘Is there anything in it about someone we know?’ Harry asked her.

Hermione sighed: ‘there are a lot of articles about missing witches and wizards, but no, nothing about someone we know. I swear the “Prophet is getting thicker by the day. ’

She looked up from the newspaper and noticed something rather odd. At the Slytherin table, Malfoy was sitting separately from his friends. He was quiet and was playing with his food. He also looked paler than usual and he had dark rings under his eyes.

Now Hermione thought about it; he had been acting differently lately. For the first time in five years he had been wandering through the castle on his own. No Crabbe or Goyle by his side, which was very strange.

Also, he had stopped taunting her and her friends, for which she was grateful. Her eyes lingered on him; he seemed sad.

Then, out of nowhere, a pang of pity went through her. But before she knew it, it was gone. She was surprised at this. Did she just actually felt sorry for him? For Malfoy? Hermione youre being ridiculous, she thought, it must have been your imagination.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry, Ron and Hermione were walking to the dungeon for the afternoon’s double potions.

They entered the classroom and immediately Hermione smelled all kinds of vapours that were filling the room.

She looked around more closely and saw that large, bubbling cauldrons were placed on every table. They chose one of the tables on the first row. A large gold-coloured cauldron stood on it and was emitting one of the most seductive scents.