Chapter two

Chapter two

Days went by and Hermione was very busy.

They had more homework than ever and the classes became more difficult by the hour.

It was clear that they were in their sixth year, that the educational level was much higher.

She was sitting at a table in the Gryffindor common room, together with Harry and Ron.

It was nice and warm here. The fire was crackling peacefully in the fire place and had no trouble in driving out the cold October air.

Hermione was doing her homework for Ancient Runes but was occasionally interrupted by Ron and Harry, asking for help. They were still working on their essay for Defence Against the Dark Arts.

‘I told you, you should have started earlier.’ She said.

Ron gave her an annoyed look and said: ‘how was I supposed to know that we had to write this much? What kind of subject is it anyway, come on, Dementors? Couldn’t Snape find something more interesting?’

‘Well, I’m definitely going to get very low marks on my essay’, Harry said.

‘O Harry, why do you even think that?’

‘I pretty much disagreed with everything Snape said about them, especially with “the best way to tackle a Dementor” part. So I’m sure that it’s not going to be good.’

Hermione rolled her eyes and continued with Ancient Runes, writing eagerly.

Again a soft tap on her arm brought her out of her concentration: ‘what now Ron?’

He ignored the frustration in her voice: ‘ my name isn’t Roonil Wazlib?’

‘ What?’ Hermione pulled his piece of parchment towards her: ‘ no , not last time I checked. And we were asked to write an essay about Dementors , not “Dugbogs”. What’s the matter with you?’

‘It’s not me! It’s this bloody quill!’

‘The quill? You are blaming the quill for your spelling mistakes?’ Hermione couldn’t believe him.

‘It’s not just any quill. It’s one of Fred and George’s Spell-Checking ones…but apparently the charm is wearing off.’

‘Yes, clearly. Hermione chuckled.

All of a sudden, as if on cue, the portrait of the Fat Lady swung open and two, tall figures emerged through it. They approached their table and before they knew it, two identical faces were grinning at them.

Their red hair seemed lighter thanks to the fire: ‘not talking about us are we?’

‘Fred! George! What are you two doing here?’ Ron exclaimed, but then his face became serious:’ is everything all right with mum and dad?’

‘ O yes , they are absolutely fine.’ Fred said.

‘Even more: they are in perfect health’, George added, ‘we are just here for our classes.’

‘Your …classes...?’

‘Yes little brother, we’ve decided to finish … start over … our seventh year of Hogwarts.’ Fred said.

‘ But… why?’ Ron asked.

‘We thought we would do mum a favour. Maybe if we eventually graduated it would cheer her up. She’s been very tensed lately, with all those Death Eater occurrences in the newspapers…’

It was obvious that Ron didn’t know what to say, he just sat there, his mouth wide open.

‘Once again it looks like you’ll be stuck with us for the rest of the year Ron.’ George grinned.