chapter twenty

Comincia dall'inizio

"So you're saying..." Derek's eyebrows were furrowed as he struggled to comprehend what she was saying.

"I'm saying that I think that Genevieve is Annike's biological mother,"

+++

Genevieve, Rossi, Hotch, JJ, and Spencer arrived at the police precinct mere minutes after the call with them, Derek and Emily ended.

JJ diverged from them immediately, seeing the mob of reporters standing outside the precinct.

"Guys, guys, look!" One of the reporters yelled out, pointing as the four profilers hastily shoved on their sunglasses and bundled together, trying to fight their way through the group.

"What's the FBI's opinion on the case so far?"

"No comment," The four chorused.

"Is it true that Annike Moore is adopted and her biological parents are being speculated as suspects?"

"No comment,"

"Hello! My name is Special Agent Jennifer Jareau, with the BAU. If you direct your attention towards me, I can issue a statement!" JJ shouted, effectively drawing all the reporter's attention over to her, like seagulls converging on a piece of scrap food.

The four were almost out of breath after practically wrestling their way into the building.

"Agents," A detective strode briskly up to them. "I'm Detective Gardener, the primary on this case. Are you Jennifer Jareau?" He asked, looking to Genevieve

"Uh, no, I'm Genevieve Taylor. Agent Jareau's outside dealing with all your fans," Genevieve reached out to shake his hand.

"I'm Aaron Hotchner, this is David Rossi, and Spencer Reid," Hotch extended his hand for Gardener to shake.

"Good to meet you. And sorry about that, Agent Taylor," He apologised kindly.

"No, it's not a problem," She brushed him off with a tight smile.

"Detective, would you mind telling us where the Moore's are? I understand they wish to talk to Agent Taylor?" Hotch asked.

"Oh, yeah, sorry. Um Frances," He called over a tall woman in a beat cop uniform. "Take these agents to briefing room one where they can get set up,"

Frances silently nodded and led Spencer and Rossi away.

"They're just in here. They're pretty hysterical, but I guess you guys deal with this kind of stuff every day," Gardener opened the door to the room, where she could see two young adults with their faces bright red from crying.

"Lincoln and Kendra Moore? I'm Special Agent Hotchner, and this is my colleague, Special Agent Taylor," Hotch said tenderly, as the detective closed the door shut behind the two profilers, and went off to help Rossi and Spencer set up.

At the sound of Genevieve's title, the two parents got up, and walked over.

"Are you Genevieve Taylor?" She sniffed, sending her a dirty glare. Lincoln looked up to stare at her too, anger in his eyes. She looked slightly taken aback. Hotch frowned, but didn't say anything.

"Yes ma'am, that's me-"

"You bitch!" Genevieve gasped as Kendra reached out and slapped her across the face.

"Hey!" Hotch reached forward to grab the woman by the shoulders and push her back, putting himself between Genevieve and the two grieving parents, as the brunette recoiled, instinctively clapping her hand over her red cheek. "Ma'am, I'm going to have to ask that you sit down. We understand that you're grieving but battery against a federal officer is a punishable offence and uncalled for. Luckily, I don't think Agent Taylor is interested in pressing charges. But we all need to do our best to remain civil and respectful. Agent Taylor is my team's expert in crimes against children, and one of the FBI's most esteemed field agents, so we're very lucky to have her,"