Until we get more information on the birth records, I want to consider this a stranger abduction. We know the stats for those. We only have twenty-three hours to get Annike back alive. Wheels up in ten," Hotch said, and the team dispersed.

+++

They had taken the SUVs out of the Bureau, Derek and Emily in one, and the rest of the team in the other, where Hotch had handed out assignments over the phone.

"Garcia's going to be working on the adoption records, but meanwhile, Morgan, Prentiss, I want you guys to go to the crime scene. Try and see if you can find how the Unsub got in and out of the house. JJ, the press is going nuts over this, so I need you to get a handle on it. Genevieve, you'll come down with Reid, Rossi, and myself to the police station. I just got word from the lead detective that the parents have asked about you-"

"Hold up. Asked about her? Gen, have you met these guys?" Derek asked, his frown audible.

"Not personally, no," She scratched at the back of her head. Hotch looked at her with narrowed eyes.

"They didn't mention you initially, but as soon as they heard that the FBI was coming, they asked if Supervisory Special Agent Genevieve Taylor would be part of the team coming down, and refused to give the detectives any more information until they spoke to you. So, Rossi and Reid are going to set up while you and I figure out what this is about," He told her.

"Yes, sir," She replied.

+++

Once Derek hung up on Hotch, he looked over to Emily, who looked just as confused as he felt. He didn't say anything as he dialled Garcia, putting her on speaker.

"Hello?" She asked timidly.

"Garcia," Derek said, all-business. "There's something up with this case. First, Genevieve getting all skittish when she saw the kid, then the parents asking for her? What have you found?"

"Uh..." Garcia sounded hesitant, remembering the promise she made to Genevieve, but then giving in, knowing that what she was about to say could potentially save that little girl's life. "A year ago, Gen came into my office, asking me to search up Annike, and had me put the file on her desk. She said that Annike was the daughter of one of her old Green Beret teammates,"

"So she does know the kid?" Derek asked, pursing his lips, not entirely impressed with her for lying.

"Well, if she needed to get Garcia to look her up, maybe she doesn't know her personally, like she said," Emily defended her. "And Annike was adopted, right? She wouldn't just lie. Her friend probably just gave Annike up. So she probably doesn't know Annike's parents at all,"

Garcia gnawed at her lower lip, debating whether she should share her suspicions. "Guys? Promise you won't say anything until I unseal the adoption records? So that I know for sure?"

"What is it, Garcia?" Derek asked.

"Just after she joined the team, JJ, Elle, and I took her out to brunch. And she mentioned that she'd dated one of her old teammates for a while, but then she got discharged, and he wasn't willing to keep the relationship going," She said slowly, typing away at her computer, working on unsealing the files. "And Genevieve only served six years of her eight-year contract, so something made her leave early. And she didn't have a degree then, so it's not like she was a rush to join the Bureau-"

"Garcia, what are you saying?" Emily asked, interrupting the technical analysts' ramble.

"Okay, but correct me if I'm wrong, but women in the military are able to be honourably discharged if they're pregnant, right?" She asked unwillingly. Derek and Emily's stunned silence was the confirmation she needed.