Chapter 2

This evening, Ye Lizhu received a letter from her father.

Ye Fu'an's calligraphy style was still as natural and unrestrained as dragons flying and phoenixes dancing[1]. Over the years, Ye Fu'an had written hundreds of letters to Ye Lizhu and she had carefully preserved each letter. She has read every letter numerous times.

It's a pity that her mother never wrote to Ye Lizhu. Ye Lizhu had dreamed of her mother many times, but because the two hadn't seen each other for a very long time, even if she'd dreamt it, Ye Lizhu couldn't really see her mother's face.  

Ye Lizhu carefully read the letter written by his father.

When her father comes tomorrow, he will take her home.

Ye Lizhu had already forgotten what the Ye family was like. Towards her family, she somewhat felt unfamiliar.

It was getting darker, Ye Lizhu was about to blow out the oil lamp and go to bed when suddenly, there were two knocks on the door. Ye Lizhu invited trustingly: "Come in."

Qing Hui walked in pulling Qing Shuang: "Zhuzhu."

Ye Lizhu stood up and poured them two cups of tea: "It's so late, why haven't you gone to bed yet?"

Qing Hui said: "Master said you are going back tomorrow."

Ye Lizhu's past few years in Mingfo Temple, she actually had a very good life. Master Wu Xin took very good care of her, and Qing Hui and Qing Shuang were also very good to her.

She was leaving, and she didn't know when she would come back. Ye Lizhu was also very reluctant to part with them. 

Ye Lizhu held Qing Hui's hand: "Don't be sad. I will come back to see you. If someday you want to visit the capital, just come directly to my house."  

The rim of Qing Hui's eyes turned red: "But... but we want to see you every day, Zhuzhu. Once you are gone, no one will play the qin with us anymore. Who will sleep with me if I have a nightmare? Also, nobody will copy the scriptures for me when I get punished by Master."

Ye Lizhu put Qing Shuang's hand on the back of Qing Hui's: "Isn't Qing Shuang here?"

Qing Hui said: "Qing Shuang sleeps like a pig, so she can't comfort me. She's also always getting punished by the master."

Qing Shuang slapped the back of Qinghui's hand with a "pop": "Asking for a fight!" 

Ye Lizhu rubbed the back of Qing Hui's hand: "Don't be sad, I will write to you."

Qing Shuang said: "Zhuzhu, you can rest assured when you go home tomorrow. We will miss you, and we will definitely look for you. Master is reluctant to part with you and will not ignore you."

Ye Lizhu nodded.

Qing Shuang pushed Qing Hui lightly: "Hurry up and take out the pearl hairpin you bought."

Qing Hui took out an exquisite wooden box from her sleeve: "Zhuzhu, this is our present for you."

Ye Lizhu took it, and under Qing Hui's eager eyes, she opened the box.  

Inside is a pearl hairpin; the body was silver, and the head was a pearl flower, quite delicate and exquisite. 

"We don't have hair but you do, so Zhuzhu you can wear them tomorrow when you comb your hair. It must look good." Qing Hui's eyes were shining, "We have long wanted to give you a present." 

Ye Lizhu softly and gently caressed the pearl hairpin and nodded.

After Qing Hui and Qing Shuang had left, Ye Lizhu properly kept the pearl hairpin, took a veil, and started coughing uncontrollably.

A speck of blood stained the snow-white veil. Ye Lizhu pursed her lips, blew out the lights, and lay on the bed. Her body is getting weaker and weaker. Sometimes, she opens her eyes, feeling layer upon layer of shadows in front of her, as if something dirty is surrounding her and devouring her life. 

Ye Lizhu felt that even if she returned home, she wouldn't be able to live long.

Still, no matter what, she still wants to go back.

Ye Lizhu missed her father and mother.

The next day, Ye Lizhu changed clothes and washed as usual. After she had finished eating in the dining hall, a young nun came over and said to Ye Lizhu: "Zhuzhu, your father is here."

Ye Lizhu followed the little nun to the front.

Ye Fu'an was over 40 years old, with a tall figure. He has an amiable bearing and a smiley expression, instead of majestic, which is unexpected from someone of eminent status. Wearing a reddish-purple brocade garment and a purple gold crown on his head, he was particularly eye-catching in the unadorned and plain Buddhist hall.

Ye Lizhu stepped into the threshold, her eyes lighting up immediately: "Father!"

"Lizhu!" Ye Fu'an took a few steps forward, quickly pressed Ye Lizhu's shoulders, and looked her up and down, "my baby girl, you have grown taller again. You are now a big girl!"

Ye Lizhu's lips turned up slightly, and she nodded seriously: "En!"

Master Wu Xin came here too, and she glanced at Ye Lizhu: "Have you packed your things?"

Ye Lizhu said: "It's already packed."  

"Then leave." Master Wu Xin pressed her palms together[2], a string of Buddhist beads hanging between her fingers, "Go down early and get home early."

Ye Fu'an patted Ye Lizhu on the back: "Lizhu, kowtow to Master. Master has taken care of you for so many years."

Ye Lizhu knelt down and knocked her head three times to Master Wu Xin: "Lizhu thank Master for her nearly ten years of teaching."

When her parents were not around, it was Master Wu Xin who taught her to read and write, told her right from wrong. Her parents who gave her flesh and blood was the grace of birth and Master Wu Xin was the grace of nurture.

Master Wu Xin sighed: "Lizhu, get up."

After standing up, Ye Fu'an held Ye Lizhu's arm and took her away.

There was a sedan chair outside, carried by eight people because Ye Fu'an was afraid that Ye Lizhu would be uncomfortable. After getting down the mountain, they would take the carriage.

Sitting in the soft sedan chair, Ye Lizhu hesitated before asking, "Father, is mother still not well?"

Ye Fu'an's expression dimmed.

He had concealed this matter from Ye Lizhu for eight years, and can no longer hide it.

Ye Fu'an said: "Lizhu, your mother... she had already passed away a long time ago."

Notes:

1) 龙飞凤舞 (lóng fēi fèng wǔ): lit. dragon flying and phoenix dancing/ flamboyant or bold cursive calligraphy.

2) 合十 (hé shí): to put one's palms together as a way of saluting in Buddhism.