Ye Lizhu sees her father twice a year. Within two days, he needs to go back to the capital again. As for her mother, she had never seen her since Ye Lizhu came to Ming Buddhist Temple.

Father often said that her mother was not well and could not travel far so, for ten years, Ye Lizhu only recalls about her in dreams.

She came to Ming Buddhist Temple when she was five years old. She neither has a clear understanding of things before the age of five nor does she remember her mother's appearance.

Her father had mentioned her younger brother once before, but Ye Lizhu didn't remember much at the time. Now she can clearly understand Qing Shuang's unspoken implication: her mother didn't come to see herself because of her younger brother. Ye Lizhu felt a little bit sorrowful in her heart.

But only for a split second.

She mustn't make conjectures in her heart without returning home and seeing her family.

While Ye Lizhu was cleaning the courtyard, the sound of the qin[3] could be heard from a distance. She knew that it was Master Wu Xin playing the qin.

Over these past years, Ye Lizhu has studied the four arts: qin, chess, calligraphy, and painting in the temple, under the teachings of Master Wu Xin.

After washing hands and changing clothes, Ye Lizhu made a cup of tea and sent it to Master Wu Xin's room.

Master Wu Xin was too clear and free from vulgarity. Ye Lizhu put the tea down: "Master, please have tea."

Master Wu Xin nodded: "Lizhu, you should also eat."

Ye Lizhu was just about to turn around when Master Wu Xin called her again: "Lizhu."

Lizhu raised her eyes to look at Master Wu Xin.

"When you return to the secular world, you can't come back. Once you decide to return to the secular world, you can't turn back." Master Wu Xin said, "Stay, and the Buddha can keep you safe and sound for your entire life, but if you leave, your life or death is uncertain."

Lizhu smiled faintly: "Master, disciple has already thought about it, and disciple doesn't want to be a nun."

"The disciple's six roots[4] are not cleansed of worldly affairs. The disciple has a debt to repay towards the world that the disciple can't shirk off. Whether it is life or death, the disciple has no regrets."

After coming out of Master Wu Xin's room, sunlight is passing through the treetops and falling on the ground. Ye Lizhu raised her head and looked into a distant place of deep vegetation and chirping birds.  

A thrush bird suddenly flew up and perched on Ye Lizhu's shoulder. Ye Lizhu touched its back, and it softly pecked Ye Lizhu's finger with its beak, then flapped its wings and flew away.

Ye Lizhu entered the hall, ate a vegetarian meal, and sat beside Qing Shuang and Qing Hui.

Qing Hui looked at Ye Lizhu from time to time.

Ye Lizhu curled her lips: "Qing Hui, what did I do? Are there words written on my face?"

Qing Hui said: "Zhuzhu, whether or not you're leaving, I have something to tell you..."

Before she finished her words, Qing Shuang pinched Qing Hui and stuffed a bun into her mouth. She said to Ye Lizhu: "Zhuzhu, your porridge is going to get cold, hurry up and eat."

Ye Lizhu smiled and lowered her head to drink the porridge. She has a small appetite and is always the fastest to finish.

When Ye Lizhu left, Qing Hui said, "Qing Shuang, why did you pinch me just now and didn't let me talk?"

Qing Shuang poke Qing Hui's forehead: "Do you know why Master named you Qing Hui? Because you are stupid, she gave you a character for intelligence[5], hoping that you can be smarter!"

Qing Hui was poked into tears.

Qing Shuang said: "Zhuzhu is going home soon. She must be full of joy and especially looking forward to meeting her family. You shouldn't pour cold water on her by saying that her family is not good. Blood is thicker than water[6], understood or not? Zhuzhu is not stupid. Master often said that Zhuzhu is the smartest among us. Whether returning home is good or not, she will know when the time comes, so you must not discourage her."