Table For Two - Part Three

Start from the beginning

I know I said I had a busy schedule and everything, but.. There wasn't any harm in making a new friend, right?

"I wouldn't mind." I said with a smile, "Maybe we could grab coffee or something. Get to know each other a little better?"

His eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. "Really? Well, how about now? We could just grab one here if you're not busy?"

I stared at him, tilting my head to the side. I was a bit taken back by his sudden enthusiasm. He really didn't want to wait, did he? It was about two in the evening now, and I hadn't went on my lunch break yet because I didn't have the time to earlier. Since we were dead anyway, Im sure it wouldn't be an issue with TK. As long as we didn't randomly get packed again, I definitely had a few minutes for a quick cup of coffee.

"Hey, TK, do you mind If I take my break?" I asked, looking over at them. The entire time I was talking to the stranger, TK was standing beside me confused; their eyebrow raised and their arms firmly crossed over their chest. They didn't have a single clue who this person was and, obviously, were a bit weary of 'em.

Weary and jealous. It was as obvious as the streak of green in their hair.

"Yeah, sure, that's fine. You of all people deserve it, Y/n. I'll be right in the back if you need anything, okay? And I'll grab one of your usuals, too. On the house. "

I smiled and nodded my head. That was TK for ya; the big sibling around this place. Always taking care of everybody else. They walked through the back door and dissapeared into the kitchen, leaving me and the stranger alone in the front of the house.

I stood there, awkwardly, swinging my arms back and forth at my sides. There was a very heavy atmosphere hanging in the air around us; one that made my body tense with uneasiness. I didn't know what to do, or say. It was weird being put in a situation like this..

'This is worse than presenting a project in front of the class in high school... God, it couldn't be any more awkward.'

"Uh, would you like to sit down?" He suddenly asked, motioning towards a nearby booth. I nodded, mentally sighing in relief. At least one of us broke the nerve racking silence. The quicker we sat down at a table, the quicker we'd both be able to relax a bit. And then, hopefully, most of that uncomfortable tension would be resolved.

'Key word; hopefully.'

We slid into the cushioned seats, sitting across from one another. He propped his elbows up on the table, giving me a content grin. "So, Y/n, was it? That's a pretty name."

I blushed a bit, giving him a flustered smile. "Yeah, that's me. I don't think I caught yours. What is it?" I inclined. It would be nice to stop referring to him as just 'stranger'. When I asked the seemingly innocent question, though, I noticed that his body and facial expressions suddenly shifted dramatically. His shoulders tensed, and his eyes narrowed as he glanced off to the side. He looked.. upset.

"Oh, I uh.. I don't really like my name that much. How about you pick one for me? Like, a nickname or something?"

I raised an eyebrow. He didn't like his name that much? It couldn't have been that bad, right? Besides, I couldn't come up with a decent nickname on the spot like that if my life depended on it. And even if he wasn't fond of his name, I still wanted to know what it was, at least. It was kinda weird not to.

"Im sure it's perfectly fine." I reassured, reaching over the table and softly patting his hand, "Come on, please-e-e? I'll try to think of a nickname for you, but I'd at least like to know who Im sitting with."

My begging seemed to soften his glare a bit. He let out a heavy sigh, crossing his arms over his chest.

"It's Peter." 

"Peter? I think that's a really nice name! You made me think it was something really bad, like.. Bartholomew. I'd understand why you wouldnt wanna be called that."

My joke earned a half smile from him. 

"But seriously though. I really like your name. I don't see a problem with it."

He shurgged his shoulders. "It's a story for another day. Now, it's my turn to ask you a question.."

Peter leaned forward, resting his head on the back of his hand. He grinned like the Cheshire cat, showing off those unaturally large canines. His sudden change in demeanor made a cold chill run down my spine, causing me to sink into my seat. This must've amused him a bit, because it caused a low chuckle on his end.

But, it didn't take long for that little smile to fade. He stared down at me, his blue eyes looking deep into my own. His finger began to tap against the table, following along to the beat of whatever song was playing through the restaurant. I didn't know what it was. I couldn't focus on that right now.

Peter smiled again. He opened his mouth, and mumbled out a sentence that made my body freeze in place. I thought I didn't hear him right at first, but inside, I knew I definitely did. His words were as clear as day. As crystal as clean water.

"Why did you throw my number away?"

______________