Table For Two - Part Three

Start from the beginning

Behind me, I could hear the sound of the bell going off as the door was pushed open. I turned around with my best smile to greet them, when I abruptly stopped dead in my tracks. I stared, my mouth slightly agape and my eyes wide.

"Hello Sir, how can I help you today?" TK intervened, giving the customer a bright smile. The stranger's eyes didn't once leave my own, staring at me with a familiar gaze that made my body completely freeze up. He gave me a little wave, and showed a gentle smile.

A smile that looked entirely different from the creepy smirk he showed me the day before.

"I thought that was you I saw through the window!" He said with a laugh. Tk looked over at me, an eyebrow raised out of curiosity. One look at my expression told them I was just as confused as they were.

Standing before me, to my surprise, was none other than the stranger who found my server book; the same man who terrfied me to the core with his disturbing expression and odd mannerisms. The same guy who I was sure I'd never see again. He stood there, giving me a seemingly genuine smile, and looking like a completely different person in the soft sunshine of the late Friday afternoon. Whoever this was, it wasn't the same guy I met in the pouring rain yesterday. His eyes didnt stop my heart from beating, and that toothy grin didn't make me shudder with fear. This guy actually seemed... normal. Human, even. The polar opposite of the stranger I saw on the street.

I swallowed the hard lump in my throat. Even if he didn't seem as strange as he did yesterday, It was still incredibly awkward to run into him again. I mean, he gave me his number and I just.. tossed it in the garbage like a piece of trash. He didn't know that, sure, but.. He was probably expecting a call or text or something in response. Thinking of how easily I shrugged him off made a wave of guilt wash over me. I didn't think it was unjustified, but nonetheless, I felt bad for it.

I took a deep breath, and tried to calm my jumbled nerves. I opened my mouth and forced the choked up words to come out.

'Come on, Y/n... Dont make this weird.'

"Hey.. Yeah, uh, I work here, haha. The thing you gave me yesterday was my server book, it's what I use to keep track of my tables and stuff."

"Oh! Its a good thing I gave it back then, huh?" He chuckled, nervously running a hand up and down his arm. His expression shifted a bit, his happy smile now changing to an awkward one. He looked off to the side, avoiding my eyes. "Yeah, um.. I'm glad I saw you again, actually. I wanted to apologize for the other day."

I tilted my head. He wanted to apologize?

"What for?"

He bit his lip, leaning back on his heels. "Im not very good with talking to people. I know I can come off as kinda weird. Scary, even. It wasn't my intention. If you'd like, I want to start over. A clean slate, like yesterday never even happened. Whaddya say?"

I was quiet for a moment, my head trying to wrap around what he had said. A clean slate. That.. actually didn't sound like a horrible idea. I liked to believe I was pretty good at reading people's emotions and intentions, and it seemed like he was being honest with me. If he wanted to try again, why not? If people deserved a second chance, then they deserved a second chance. Maybe he was just having a bad day or something, it happens. The way he was acting now, it didn't freak me out like he did before. If this was how he really was, then I didn't see a problem with it.