Chapter 2: Childhood friend

Jisoo’s pov

Judging from how hard I study some may think I would be the best student or top scorer or whatever it is they called for someone who gets good marks in their exam; but the truth is I’m actually not. I barely even passed some of my subjects. I even had to retake one of the papers tonight because I miserably failed the last time.

The retake exam ended around 10pm and I waited for half an hour for the lecturer to mark my paper on the spot so that I would at least have mind preparation if I have to end up repeating the subject next semester.

“60 out of 100.” The lecturer said in a firm tone probably getting annoyed from me pestering him.

I passed. I actually passed. I felt like screaming and jumping out of relief. I thanked the lecturer and leave the lecture hall with the other few students that had to retake the paper too.

I went straight to the library as I remembered Kyungsoo said they might need extra hands to finish unpack the new batch of books coming. I have been working part time at the college library to earn some pocket money. I cant be depending on my late parents’ insurance money solely. Our savings are declining in amount and it’s high time that I should learn earning some money too.

I told Kyungsoo about how miracle it is that I passed the paper and he simply congratulated me. A brainiac like him probably wouldn’t understand how hard it is for mere like me to study and passed. He even effortlessly got an all round 4.0 cgpa last semester and he told me the key to his success is to manage his time properly and study smart. To be honest I dont even know what that means.

“It’s almost 12 guys, I think we should wrap it up now. Thank you for your help tonight. I”ll be sure to inform the office that we worked overtime today. Dont forget to clock out.” Kyungsoo made quite a short speech before dispersing us.

We locked everything and packed our stuffs. And I bid goodbye to the other library staffs.

“I guess I wouldn’t need to walk you to your dorm, you have your bodyguard waiting already.” Kyungsoo said when we’re outside.

I noticed the familiar tall figure leaning against the wall; one hand holding cigarettes and the other shoved inside his pocket. He noticed us and threw his cigarette butt into the dustbin. Even from afar and under the dim light I can still recognize him; his side buzz cut and his familiar posture are like the distinct traits of him. He walked slowly to our direction with his gaze never leaving mine.

“Good night, Jisoo. I guess I see you next week.” Kyungsoo said before he walked away.

I saw the two of them exchanging glances with no friendly smile as if he is ready to pounce on Kyungsoo if anything while Kyungsoo just ignored his sharp gaze.

“Did you put a tracking device on me or something?” I said to him.

Mino smirked to my question.

“Maybe.”

I rolled my eyes to that. He took my backpack and slung it to his shoulder.

“It’s not that heavy, I can carry myself.” I refused but he wouldn’t let me.

“Suit yourself.” I said instead.

We walked side by side along the pavement. His long legs matched my slow and small step so that we are walking the same pace.

“Why are you not at Jane’s party tonight? You knew she had her birthday bash at the club tonight right?”

It’s kind of out of ordinary for him to not be attending party like that so I asked. I heard he has a reputation as a party boy himself and how happening his night activity at the club. That’s what rumours said and I’m pretty sure they are at least 90% accurate.

“Because I’m here.” He answered simply.

Ugh. I hated it when he intentionally gave me lame answers like that.

“Funny.” I muttered and he laughed clearly enjoying that he managed to get on my nerves.

“Why are you back so late tonight though?” He asked.

I intended to reply him with lame answers just like how he usually replies me but I didn’t plan to be as annoying as him, so I ended up explaining to him about my retake exam just now and the extra works that we need to do at the library.

He nodded while listening to me.

“So I heard Jinu is back in town right?” Mino asked.

“Yup. You haven’t met my brother yet?”

Mino and my brother are childhood friends. They used to attend the same high school and they were pretty close too. Mino and his family used to live in the same vicinity with us before they decided to move to the city.

“Not yet. We plan to meet tonight but he said he had another meeting with his colleagues to be.” He answered.

“Well you know about the welcoming party at our house this weekend right?” I asked just to be sure.

“Yeah,Jinu told me about it. I have missed the beach house.” He smiled as if he is reminiscing our childhood memories there.

We continued to chat about the past and the beach house. He laughed whenever I brought up some funny memories of him when he was a teenager and he teased me back equally. He is so fun and comfortable to talk with when he’s not being annoying. And he clearly enjoyed whenever we have any long conversations like this.

We were so close to reach the girl’s dormitory when a group of girls passed by us.

“Hi Mino.” One of the girls said in a very convincing flirty tone.

“Oh hi.” Mino answered back and that made the group of girls giggled.

I dont know what made me turned into a suddenly sour mood so I walked faster and walked passed them leaving Mino and the girls behind. I think they were talking for a while as if they knew each other before I heard Mino calling me from behind trying to catch up with my fast walking pace.

“Jisoo.. wait...”

“I didn’t know these short leg of yours can walk that fast.” He teased and I was clearly already not in the mood.

I took my bag from him with a sour face and he chuckled.

“You know what Mino. Since my brother is already back in town, you can stop pretending to be my bodyguard or whatever. I can take care of myself just well.” I deliberately made my tone firm and serious.

He looked amused by my reaction and that irritated me more.

“Thanks for walking me.” I said, still with my sour face and turned my back to him and walked quickly into the girl’s dormitory.

“Good night, Jisoo. See you this weekend at the beach house!” He said from behind and I could hear his faint laugh too in the background.

He is really so annoying.