“Everyone keeps telling me that it’s not hard but I can’t for the life of me grasp what he’s saying. I just don’t understand it!” Kaysie said agitated. I smiled slightly at her behavior. Kaysie was always a whiz at school. She aced all her classes and had never gotten anything below a ‘B’ in her life. It was no surprise that she was getting frustrated with herself because she couldn’t grasp the concept.

“Calm down Kayse. I’ll help you,” Asher responded as he gently pulled the Shakespeare book towards him and Kaysie before starting to explain the writing to her.

                I don’t know how long he was explaining the text to her and frankly I didn’t care. I was content in watching him talk. I was mesmerized by the way his hands moved everywhere as he explained each section. The smile on his face when Kaysie finally grasped the part he was explaining made me smile along with him. I loved watching him with his younger siblings. The love and devotion he felt for them was clear on his face and I loved it. I loved the fact that he’d do absolutely anything for them.

“Does Kaysie know?” a voice asked from my other side, making me jump. The voice was loud enough for me to hear but not loud enough for Asher or Kaysie to hear. Swiveling my head around I came face to face with Austin.

“Know what?” I asked just as quietly as I gave him a confused look. Judging by the look in his face I was pretty sure I knew what he was going to say and I was terrified. My heart picked up speed and I dreaded what he was about to say next.

“Does she know that you’re in love with Asher?” Austin asked simply and despite the fact that I knew what he was going to say I still gasped in surprise. Surging to my feet, I grabbed Austin by the arm and pulled him behind me into the living room where Asher and Kaysie wouldn’t be able to hear us talking. I wasn’t going to risk either one of them hearing.

“What are you talking about?” I asked as soon as we were out of earshot.

“Don’t play dumb Bree. I’ve known you since you were a practically a baby. You’re like my little sister. Do you really think I can’t tell when you like someone? Besides, I’ve seen the way you look at him. I’ve seen the way that you watch him and you always get a smile on your face as soon as he walks in the room. Add all that to your sudden ability to not be able to speak when he’s around and it’s not that hard to tell,” he retorted with a small smile. His words sounded a little harsh but I knew he didn’t mean it. Austin was the nicest guy I knew and I knew he’d never do anything to purposely hurt anyone.

I looked to the right where I could still see Asher and Kaysie at the kitchen table. By the smile on both of their faces I could tell that she was starting to understand the text.  I smiled as I watched them.

“How long have you known?” I asked after a minute as I turned my attention back to him. I was amazed that he knew all that but also a little afraid. If he was able to witness all that then who else had also witnessed it and had come to the same conclusion as Austin?

“A while and, before you ask, no I haven’t said anything to Asher. It’s not my place to. I do think you should tell him though. Nothing good ever comes from suppressed feelings,” he said in a gentle tone and I knew he was right. I knew I’d eventually have to tell Asher how I felt or else I knew I’d regret it later on. I also knew that I had to talk to Kaysie first. There was no way I was attempting to start anything with Asher until I talked to her first. She’s my best friend and he’s her older brother. I needed to make sure she was okay with it.

“I guess you’re right. I do have to tell him. What do you think Kaysie will say though? I need her to be okay with it before I do anything,” I responded.