Chapter 17: Head Girl, redux

Author's note: TW for mentions of child abuse.

January 4, 1972

Andromeda didn't see Sirius for the rest of the break. And he wasn't on the platform when they were supposed to go back to school. And he wasn't on the train.

Andromeda was starting to get worried that Sirius, despite his young age, had been disowned, or his parents weren't letting him come back to Hogwarts. The latter was much more likely. Still, she couldn't help worrying.

But there wasn't too much time for worrying. Potter and Pettigrew, who were both on the train, having gone back for the holidays, were causing chaos. No surprise there. Even with half their group gone, they were still causing trouble.

Although when Andromeda had a small break from patrolling and running the Prefect schedule, Ted asked where Sirius had gone.

Ï don't know," she said. "I'm kind of worried. I..." she lowered her voice. "I think his parents did something to him, Ted."

Ted bit his lip. "Well... I'm sure he's fine... they couldn't have killed him, could they?"

"I doubt it," Andromeda said. "Still... my family is... different, Ted." Different was the word she always used. She still loved her parents, even if their parenting was questionable.

"I know," Ted responded, wrapping an arm around her. They were alone, so there was no Narcissa or Lucius to snitch on them. "You've got me, right?"

"Yeah," Andromeda said.

"And besides, if they are holding him captive, we could rescue him," Ted suggested.

Andromeda raised her eyebrows, and then said, "Edward Theodore Tonks, are you an idiot? We can't do that, they'll find us for sure. And you're kind of clumsy."

Ted frowned. "You think my middle name is Theodore?"

"Yes," Andromeda said. "What else is Ted short for?"

Ted blinked. "Edward," he said slowly. "Ted is short for Edward."

Andromeda shook her head. "There's no way. I don't hear it."

Ted grinned. "Dromeda, Ted can be short for Edward. Plus, I like the name Ted better. Edward... it makes me sound old. And my parents call me Ted, too."

Andromeda shook her head. "My God." Then she smiled. "Did I mention I love you?"

"I don't think you did," Ted said. "Andromeda whatever-your-middle-name-is Black, did you forget to tell me you loved me?"

Both of them laughed and Ted gave her a little peck on the cheek. "Well," Andromeda said, "I do love you. And it's Violetta, by the way-- my great-grandmother." She raised an eyebrow. "Though I could do without having it as a middle name. I don't really like it. But I love you."

"Me too," he responded. "I love you too."

It came as no surprise that, after dinner that night, three boys walked up to her when everyone was going back to their dorms— Potter, Pettigrew, and Lupin, who'd stayed at Hogwarts over the break. Andromeda remembered he'd been looking ill and paler than usual the morning they left. He must have stayed because he'd gotten sick.

"Where's Sirius?" Potter asked.

"I... don't know," Andromeda said. "I haven't seen him since the train ride home."

"Your family didn't have a Christmas dinner or anything?" Pettigrew asked.

"Well, we did have a dinner on the twenty-second, but his parents said he was sick."