Chapter 18

trigger warning: death, substance abuse, suicide, anxiety

● - ☆ - ● - ☆ - ●

📌 Yorkshire, England, UK

I watched the ever changing road in front of us as Brad navigated through the streets, as if he was confident enough on where we were going.

"Have you been here before?" I asked Brad, who kept his eyes on the road as he tapped his left hand's fingertips on his knee to the music that was playing on the radio.

"Once. But I remember my directions well," Brad said, and after a long while of driving, we arrived at a countryside area, specifically, near some train tracks that looked old and uncared for.

After a while, Brad slowed the car down, and after putting it on full stop at the side of the road, he turned the engine off and looked at me, his face unreadable as he gave me a small smile.

"Let's go," Brad said, making me remove my seatbelt and follow after him as he walked toward the tracks, then my instincts kicked in.

"Isn't this illegal?"

"No. Trains don't go here anymore, but they're still public property. Anyone can go here."

"And I trust you because?" I asked, then Brad turned to me with a small laugh.

"If a train comes, I'll be pushing you out of the way."

Brad sat down in the middle of the tracks to further convince me that it was safe, then I eventually followed him. It was bound to rain anytime soon, anyway, and when that happens, we'd have no choice but to take shelter in his car and miss the train completely, if there were any. We let a few moments pass before talking.

"I'm sorr—" we both said at the same time, then we looked at each other and chuckled. Brad gestured to me to go first, then I shook my head.

"I insist," I told Brad, who shrugged.

"I'm sorry for being rude. I mean, it's true that you drag yourself into risky situations and that I can't handle you all the time, but you're right...I dragged myself into your problems. I wanted to get involved in your life. I realized how hurtful my words were, and, to be fair, I don't want to be the hero of your story; all the shit you go through is something I want to ease off your shoulders. No one deserves to go through that much pain."

"Thank you, Brad. You really are one of the kindest people I've ever met," I said, then he gently patted my knee twice.

"I believe it's your turn," Brad said, then I took a deep breath.