Let's Break Artie's Heart

Start from the beginning

"I'm going to call Dr. Cadler. It sounds like your appendix is about to burst."

Claudia whimpered and shook her head, "It can't. I already had appendicitis."

HIs blood chilled. Claudia was the one who spent the most time in the office with him. How had he not thought to check that the top wouldn't affect her, too!

"Artie? Did your appendix grow back already?" Vanessa appeared in the tiny screen.

"No. Not mine. Claudia's," he felt his chest tighten.

"And I take it she's infected?" the background began to move.

He could only nod.

"Alright. I'm on my way. I'm a couple hours out, though so try and keep her comfortable until I get there."

"Right. We'll be in the room off my office." He hated how scared he sounded.

"That's fine. See you soon."

The screen darkened. Artie pocketed the Farnsworth and wrapped his arm around Claudia's back.

"Come on, Kiddo. Let's get you back to the Office."

She whimpered but complied. It was slow going. By the time they made it out of the paintings and sculptures, Claudia was crying. Artie sighed.

"Ok. Plan B. Put your arms around my neck."

He didn't know what scared him more; that she was in this much pain or that she wasn't questioning a whole organ growing back. She just wrapped her arms around his neck. Artie lifted her into his arms and tucked her against his chest like an infant. He stumbled slightly but started marching anyway. Claudia tucked her face into his neck. Before much longer they made it to the office. Suddenly, Claudia turned away from him and threw up. Artie froze, feeling the mess seep into his sneakers.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

He shook his head and kept walking. He gently lay her on the bed in the spare room.

"It's ok, Yakirati. You're sick. You're allowed to make a bit of a mess like that."

She didn't say anything, just curled up and hugged her belly again. Artie sighed.

"I'm going to clean that up and get you something to help with the pain."

Claudia just whimpered. He got up, changed his shoes, mopped up the floor and laid a damp towel over the carpet, and filled a hot water bottle. Then, he returned to Claudia's side. Though he was convinced that her stomach was empty now he set a bucket beside the bed, just in case.

"I need you to uncurl for me, Yakirati. I know being curled up feels better but I promise this will help."

She whimpered and rolled over.

"There you go. Here. This should help."

He laid the hot water bottle over her belly before pulling over a chair. He didn't move from her side save to get them each a glass of water. He stroked her hair and kissed her forehead.

Myka strode through the door of the office, "Hey, Artie. Pete's cleaning up the mess near the paintings. How is she?"
"Not great. Her appendix grew back and now she's infected," He didn't look up, "But Vanessa should be here soon."

Claudia whimpered and curled up on her side again. Myka sat on the edge of the bed.

"Yeah. I know, Claud. Appendicitis sucks."

Artie's head snapped up, "You've had appendicitis?"

"Yeah. When I was about Claudia's age. Why?"