34: Temporary Relief

Miki didn't like Hana's attitude right now. He'd met her enough times to know when something was wrong, and something definitely was. 

That would be fine, except she deflected when he had asked what the problem was. 

"You just started school recently, how's that going?" Hana asked, clicking her pen. Miki shrugged.

"Its okay." He said, knowing she needed a verbal answer. "My marks are fine and I've made some friends.". Hana smiled at him, making note of what he said. It seemed like she had a never ending stack of paperwork beside her, constantly filling it out only to find more in her bag. 

"And are your foster parents creating a good learning environment?" She asked, looking up at the teen. Miki nodded.

"They're teachers, so they're really good at explaining things in a way I can understand." He said honestly. "Great." Hana said in that weird sing-songy tone Miki hated. 

She'd been asking him questions for at least an hour at this point. None of them were related to anything other than his home life and mental health. It was like she was looking for something wrong. 

Miki let his mind wander a bit until it landed on Toga. Hana probably knew about her, his dads probably reached out to her a while ago. Maybe she was trying to get Toga taken away? Miki felt a little panicky at the thought. It didn't matter if it was a new foster home or prison, he didn't want her going anywhere. No one else would understand her and be her family like they would. 

"I'm not going to sugar coat this last question, so you can't sugar coat your answer, okay?" Hana said, putting the sheet she had just been writing on down and meeting Miki's eyes. "Do you want to meet your biological half sisters, or are they something you'd like to avoid at all costs? Those are your only options by the way, because 'okay' is basically taken as a yes in this system.". 

The teenager was taken back a bit at the question, slowly understanding the purpose for the interview. "I never want to meet them." He said simply, "They'll never be my family. Just thinking about them makes me-um yeah". He trailed off awkwardly, trying not to think about the ugly jealous feeling he felt when he learned about them. 

He didn't want his biological mother to love him. He wanted her to leave him the fuck alone. But, somewhere deep down there was a part of him that was still a 5 year old crying asking his grandma why his mom wasn't back yet. Why she had left without him. 

"Alright." Hana said, her expression relaxing greatly. "I assume this comes with never wanting to see your biological mother or her husband either?". Miki nodded. He'd never even seen the husband's face or learned his name and he didn't want to. Who would marry a monster like that? 

"You did a good job, Miki." Hana said, her normal smile had returned. Miki didn't return it though. He was still trying to wrap his head around why anyone thought he would want to see his mom or her kids after her parental rights were terminated. 

------- -------- ---------- ----------- ----------- ---------- ----------- 

"So, do you have any ideas for the cultural festival?" Emiko asked, resting her head on Miki's desk. The pink haired teen just shrugged. 

"Not really. My brother mentioned his class was doing a haunted house, but I haven't really thought about what we should do." He said, poking his pencil at the corner of his notebook. 

"What is we did a magic show?" The girl suggested, her eyes already sparkling with interest. It was then that Miki realized this was another one of those 'I'm going to start a conversation about something because I've already figured it out' sort of talks. 

Miki just rolled his eye. "What would I do in a magic show?" He asked rhetorically. They had a small class, only 20 students, so a magic show would work, but Miki couldn't really see himself having his legs cut off or undoing knots. Or being on stage at all. 

"Hypnotism of course! And my quirk lets me make things invisible for a couple minutes, so I can do the disappearing act! Its perfect!" Emiko insisted. 

"I think you're forgetting that disappearing acts involve making a person disappear, and your quirk doesn't work on people." Miki said, exasperated with the energetic girl. 

"Hey, that's actually a good idea!" Tanaka, the class vice president said, jumping out of his seat. He wrote 'Magic Show' on the blackboard, catching the rest of the class's attention. 

"We can have a disappearing act, a quick change, levitation, hypnotism-it'll be perfect!" He announced. People started murmuring excitedly, all agreeing to the idea.  

"Won't it be lame? Magic show were only popular before people got quirks. Wont people know how we're doing it?" Miki asked. 

"Not everyone's going to be able to use their quirk anyways." Emiko said, pouting at her friend. "Just because our quirks lend themselves to being magicians doesn't mean everyone's does.". Mano nodded at that and started writing out the various acts they could perform on the board. 

"Emiko, you want to the disappearing act, right? Can Hano do it with you, since you have similar quirks?" Tanaka asked, turning to face the girls. Emiko made a grossed out face but Hano agreed to it with a brief nod. 

People began calling dibs on various acts, already splitting into groups and watching tutorials. When Tanaka made it hypnotism he stopped and turned back around to face Miki. "Kozume, are you going to be okay doing this one like Emiko suggested?". 

Before he could even think about it Miki said no. Emiko rolled her eyes. "He says yes!" She called back to Tanaka, who wrote 'Kozume' down on the board. Without hesitation Miki looked at Emiko intently. 

"Go erase that." He commanded her. Quickly Emiko got to her feet, mindlessly approaching the board and erasing the name while Tanaka stared in shock. "Oh my god you actually hypnotized her!" He gasped. 

Miki groaned. Now they really weren't going to let him talk his way out of this. 

--------------------------------------

I'm back after a short delay!

I got hit with major writers block and kinda panicked because I don't actually know how I want any of this to end. Its hard to write things in middle when you don't know how to finish it up, uk? 

Btw this is not the end of Miki's bio mom doing some shady shit. There's a lot more that's gonna go down before the cultural festival. 

Stay Tuned!