"I don't mind if you look at me in here. And please, just Lin when we're alone. This added Prince is starting to get annoying."

"Yes, your majesty."

"Rahis." Joelin said playfully, his voice mimicking a scolding, which startled Rahis until he looked up to see the prince smiling.

"Alright... Lin." He was clearly uncomfortable with that, so Joelin decided not to push it further. "Would you like me to empty that?" He asked, glancing towards his bag. Joelin just nodded. He watched as Rahis walked over and started shuffling through his bag, pulling some things out. "Are you done with this?" He asked, pulling out some untouched bread.

Joelin nearly laughed. In their haste to leave they didn't even touch the bread they had argued about. "Bring it here." He ordered, sitting up. Rahis walked over and cautiously sat on the bed where Joelin gestured him to. He handed him the bread, which Joelin broke open, still warm. "Here, try it." He handed him a piece, taking the other half for himself and started eating it.

Rahis slowly followed his actions. After swallowing his first bite, he smiled and looked at Joelin, eyes wide. "It's really good."

Joelin returned the smile, a warm feeling in his chest. "It is, isn't it." Rahis' reaction was so different from Aylissa's that Joelin was way happier than he should've been, watching Rahis eat what was probably one of the best foods he's tried in his life.

They finished their bread in silence and Rahis walked over and finished emptying his bag. "Bring me the book from yesterday, would you?"

Rahis quickly did as he was told, not hesitating to sit when Joelin gestured to the bed. The prince smiled at his obvious excitement. He found himself enjoying teaching him to read, only if they'd only been at it for a day. Rahis turned out to be a very quick learner though and already could recognize many words.

They spent the rest of the day going through the book, a very surprised Camayla coming in a few hours into it to deliver dinner, but other than that very few interruptions. That is, until a heavy knock sounded on the door just as it started to really get dark. Rahis quickly stood up and Joelin pushed the book onto his nightstand, calling for the visitor to enter.

He was surprised to see his father enter the room. Taking a second to dismiss Rahis, knowing they wouldn't have time to get back to it, he greeted his father, who looked him up and down.

"I've been waiting for you to come and tell me how it went, yet you're still in your riding clothes! Mind telling me what happened?"

"I didn't realize I was supposed to see you."

"It would've been nice."

Joelin looked down, not able to hold his fathers intense gaze for long. "Sorry, just as soon as I got back I got caught up in a book."

"Ah." King Therond said, well aware of how his son got. "So, how was your ride with Princess Aylissa?"

Joelin started playing with his fingers, a nervous habit. Unfortunately, his father always noticed and got on him about how it wasn't Princely, which made him even more nervous. Thankfully, this time Therond stayed silent, although his eyes were clearly judging. "I really don't want to marry her."

"Oh, come on, she can't be that bad."

"But she is! Every word we've spoken has been an argument or her trying to prove she's better than me! I can never get along with someone like her! Much less come to love!"

"You don't realize it, but the line between hate and love isn't as bold as it may seem."

"I. Hate. Her."

Judging by the look he got from his father, he was in trouble, but to his surprise the king looked forward and started talking. "I didn't like your mother very much when I first met her either." Joelin's eyebrows rose in feigned surprise. He'd heard this story before, but didn't want to spoil his father's good mood lest he get that scolding he was spared. "I mean she was Princess Fanna Navay of the Kingdom of Secos, so far away. Sure, her beauty was the most breathtaking thing I got to behold, but she showed clear distain towards me, which is probably the most repellant thing a person can have when meeting another. Over time she warmed up to me, and now I cannot even imagine loving another. I'm sure the same will happen to you."

"But I don't think she hates me, I think that's just the way she is."

Therond sighed, knowing he was defeated. "I can't offer you much more advice. If you'd like more encouragement on why she's the right choice, talk to one of your brothers or possibly your mother. Goodnight, Joelin."

"Goodnight father." Joelin replied as Therond slipped out.

He didn't even bother changing clothes as he slipped under his covers and shut his eyes, nightmares flickering behind his eyes.