Chapter 3

As the two boys neared their destination, the streets became busy. Cars and bikes zooming past them trying to get home.

Jay opened the door for Daniel and they both looked around. The restaurant was a tad small but welcoming. The decor was traditional and warm.

The boys took a seat in a booth next to a window. Daniel felt a little uneasy being by a window but he endured it.

"Hello and welcome! Thank you for dining with us today! Here's our menu. Please take your time and I'll be right over."

A sweet girl who looked about 17-18 placed a sheet of paper in front of the boys. It was a menu. Every item listed made Daniel's mouth water. He was hungry.

The waitress walked away, leaving them to look at their menus.

"Now that I think about it, I haven't eaten in a while."

Jay looked at Daniel, concerned for his health.

"Oh no, it's not that. I've just been worried. I mean, I- no, Daniel was put into a coma. I've been a bit on edge."

Jay felt his eyes sting at the mention of Daniel.

"The nurses haven't updated me on his condition yet, I'm just so nervous that-" Daniel cut himself off as he felt warmth slide down his face. He quickly wiped the tears away.

"S-Sorry, I don't mean to ruin the mood or anything."

Jay stood from his seat and sat next to Daniel. He pulled him into a hug and let his tears flow. Daniel started crying again as he gripped onto Jay's clothing. The two boys cried silently on each other for a few minutes until Daniel pulled away.

He reached up to Jay's face and wiped his tears with his thumbs.

"Crying doesn't suit you. You have to be strong. For Daniel."

Jay placed his hand on Daniel's and gently squeezed reassuringly. He enjoyed Daniel's warmth. Jay snuggled his cheek into Daniel's hand as he stopped crying.

Jay's face went red as he realized that this wasn't his Daniel but rather, Daniel's roommate who shares the same name. He pulled away and looked at the boy. Jay reached to Daniel's glasses and slowly slipped them off. He looked so much like his love. He acted like him too. Jay felt as if they could be the same person.

Jay grew closer to Daniel's face and turned his head slightly to the side. He felt his heart race as Daniel flinched away. Right, he wasn't the same person.

Jay pulled away and apologized to Daniel before getting up and heading to the bathroom, leaving Daniel alone with his confusion.