Mr. Killer, I Think I Love You... And What You Do [2]

After telling Gram where I was going short after, I got dressed, quietly moving about the room without waking Gabrielle. Her small, gentle snoring soothed me for one reason or another, and it brought good memories, like Dad making popcorn for us on the weekends, or Mom talking with some friends on the phone.

I tucked those thoughts aside as I made my way out the door of the poor home. I drew my jacket up closer to my body for warmth as the chilly New York air bit at me. As I took my first step, I tripped. I fell down the three little stairs that led to the poor home's door. I landed with a thud.

I squeezed my eyes tight from the pain. I was alway so clumsy. tripped over things a lot, sometimes over my own feet. Gram says I was always like that, even when I was in Mom's stomach.

Muttering something unintelligible, I slowly got up, pushing my hands out in front of me and lifting myself off of the cement. As I shook myself off, something caught my eye. There was something sitting on the sidewalk, resting only a few feet away from me. I squinted, trying to get a better look at it.

It was a phone.

A straight out black cell phone laid there in the middle of the walkway. I looked around, searching for someone who could have dropped the phone. A shrill, ringing pierced the morning air suddenly. I looked down. The phone's screen was glowing green, and as I moved closer to the phone, I found that the ringing louder the closer I got.

I bent down to pick the phone up. I studied the screen, trying to see what number was calling. There really wasn't a point in checking the number; I didn't have a phone, plus I wouldn't recognize any callers on someone else's phone.

But I checked anyway, and found the screen blank. No number or name filled the page, just a green glowing screen. 

I hesitated, and then pushed a button. Pressing the phone up against my ear, I answered. "Hello?"

"No sudden movements. Try not to make any of those," an unrecognizable voice said on the other line.

I blinked. "Who is this?"

"Listen. You are about to witness a car crash. Try not to run anywhere when it happens. Stay in place. Avoid sudden movements."

I gulped. "A car crash? Wait, who is this?"

"Dont think on that. Don't worry. Don't move."

"But how-"

Suddenly, the screeching of tires sounded off nearby. I looked up just in time to see a white truck collide with a blue car. A loud crash split the air, and dozens of screams followed after.

I was about to run to the scene when the voice on the phone reminded me, "Dont move!"

I was speechless. I watched the scene in terror. People crowded around the two cars. Smoke curled around the hoods of the vehicles, and spiraled into the air. I couldn't see the drivers, but I heard a woman yell that one was knocked unconscious.

A lump formed in my throat. I didn't like this. I slowly started to back away.

"Stop moving," the voice ordered.

I froze. My mouth felt dry. "You-you can see me..."

"I need you to do exactly as I say. Can you do that for me?"

I stood speechless. The voice went on. "Turn around and walk until you're at the corner. Take a left from there, and then cross the street. You should see a little sidewalk from there."

I didn't move. I was in too much shock.

"We don't have much time. Move." Something told me in the voice that I should start moving. There was an edge to it.

In a daze, I slowly made my way to the corner. Taking a left, I crossed the street, searching for the little sidewalk. "I'm at the sidewalk," I whispered into the phone once I had made it there.

"Follow it to another sign, and then make a right," the voice instructed. I followed the directions, and once I was there, I found myself at a dead end. I looked around for a hidden path I might have missed.

Once I figured there was no entrance, I spoke into the phone. "Where do I go now?"

"Dont move." And then the phone clicked, leaving me alone.

I slowly pulled the phone away from my ear. A rush of panic seized me, causing me to clutch my chest as it grew tight. I breathed from my mouth, closing my eyes. I was going to let whatever come at me, come at me.

I waited a few seconds. I opened one eye, peeking around. Nothing.

I heaved a sigh of relief, letting the tension drop from my shoulders. I laughed, trying my best to unnerve myself.

"Well, that was weird," I spoke aloud. It was probably just some prank call, I assured myself. Yet the thought of them giving me directions, and the directions being accurate nagged at me...

Suddenly, tires runnng on cement reached my ears. It sounded awfully close, so Iinsinctively threw my hands out defensively in front of me. Instead of feeling the impact of a car crashing into my body and perhaps having the life knocked clean right out of me, I felt a pair of strong hands wrap around my waist. I was suddenly pulled, and I stumbled backwards, landing on something hard. I groaned in reaction.

"She's in, let's move," a voice shouted. The car jolted forward suddenly, causing me to bang my head on somehing hard. Again.

I laid back, dazed.

"Faster," someone directed. "Theyre catching up!"  The car accelerated even more, if that was possible. I could hear the engine getting higher in pitch as the car raced through the streets. I heard a great noise behind us, and then glass shattering. Something bounced off of the front seat, but I couldnt made out what it was. It moved too fast.

Confused, I turned around.

"Get down!" A hand pushed my head down forcefully. A loud smack took place when my head made contact with the car floor. Black dots lined my vision. They grew bigger and bigger, until they all connected together, leaving me in complete darkness.

Uhm, so I've figured that it is possible to live without my iPod. I hope whoever has it is really enjoying that thing. Psht. Caused me so much pain.  No. Scratch that. I hope that they lose the iPod. I'd rather the iPod get broken than them have it. That iPod was MINE, and mine only. And they ripped it away from me.  Luckily, I sent this chapter to my mailbox in Hotmail, so I just copied and pasted.  Sigh. I'm in a bad mood. Bai.  Comment-Vote-Fann. Plz.