chapter seven: the marvelous monster.

Today i decided to give into ADHD and 'follow the dopamine'...i taught myself how to play the guitar and played a Nirvana song for a while before i saw a spider and had an all out war with the spider in my house, now my house smells like raid. I will definitely be doing this again.

(Y/n) POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think Iris is fast asleep...warm and cozy, man i wish i was him right now, im stuck here looking for a way out of the waterlogged prison we somehow got locked in.

The cold pricks the soggy clothing that sticks to my skin, but strangely enough my nerves are numbed to the pain, im more focused on escaping than the sting of the Autumn air.

I turn and lean against a wall that separated the place i was at from the other half of the building, looking at the door...that was relatively easy to find.

"Well then....im not complaining."
I mumble, walking to the wooden door...im still confused, this is smaller than the man, where the hell did he get out from??

The door creaks slightly, showing steps leading down.

"Maybe we can have some good food after this...food helps trauma, right?"
I ask, staring at the sleeping baby, he snores a little and lays like a dead person in my arms...if it weren't for the snoring, I'd be scared of if he's alive or not.

I walk down the steps and reach the bottom relatively quickly, looking at a place where you can see the murky water more clearly, and a wooden sign that has the words 'Moreau's Clinic' carved into it...i wonder who that is, a Doctor maybe?

The mud seems to be thicker in the lower area, but not impossible to walk on. A dirt trail leads from the steps to somewhere behind the windmill...maybe that's where we should go.

"...what do you think?"
I ask, Iris doesn't answer again, although he never answers, i continue to ask...maybe i just like hearing my thoughts out loud.

"Yeah, me too...this feels weird."
I mumble.

...then again, this could be the break that saves us, there could be a trail leading to a bridge, back to the camp site...or a carriage we can take, or maybe even civilians that can help us....its good to be hopeful, right?

"...but we should take the chance, who knows how many we'll have."
I say.

The ground seems to sink slightly at my feet as i walk the trail behind the windmill, broken and mossy wooden pieces spike from the dirt like they came from it...like they came from hell, then again, this place feels more like hell than what you hear in stories...trapped, scared, possibly in danger, dark and cold...its more like hell than an actual hell would be.

I make it to the end of the trail, it leads to a rather deep-looking fall into the water...and what lays on that water is a small, engine pulled boat.

...a lucky break.

"Holy shit...would you look at that.."
I mumble, stepping closer...the key is in the ignition already, but the dust and dry moss makes it look like the boat hasn't been touched in a while, its like it was abandoned...

Slowly and cautiously, i step onto the boat, sitting in it with the sleeping Iris leaning on my chest, i turn the key and it starts with no problem...why is it just sitting here if it works perfectly fine? Its like whoever was on it just ran off of it and never came back..

"This doesn't feel right...im not complaining, this is just...weird."
I say, moving a little closer to the shift that steers the boats direction. [I legitimately don't know what its called]

It begins to slowly move, turning whichever way i steer it at, i turn the shift towards the clear path, and it moves through the water perfectly fine.

"...i expected something like a creature to break the boat the second i saw it."
I chuckle, staring down at the water, its too dirty to see into...i wonder if there's fish in it, i could devour an entire fish by myself right now...a burger or something sounds better though.

...i wonder if Markus and Amanda are okay, Markus is good in situations like that, wild angry creatures...but Amanda cries when she sees a possum, she'd die if she was alone....i hope i see them somewhere soon, maybe they're safe, maybe...no, they're adults, they can handle themselves.

"...feeling okay, buddy?"
I mumble, laying Iris with his back to my lap, he jerks in his sleep repeatedly, before squinting his eyes and beginning to cry.

"Oh no...its alright, we're safe now...probably."
I say, he jerks around and begins to sob more loudly.

How would Amanda calm him down? Fuck, she was always so secluded with him, always hiding out in the nursery....i heard her sing a lot when i was by the nursery door, i remember hearing her sing all day in there when Markus and I were trying to convince her to unlock the door.

....so singing, i should sing to Iris...what the hell would i sing? You know what...i'll make it up.

"Hey, uh...fuck, what do i....hush little Iris don't you cry, (y/n) has you and your by their side.."
I hum, Iris opens his eyes, staring at me...he isn't crying as badly but he's still crying.

"More? Really?? Uhm....Mommy and Daddy aren't here, the dark seems to just get more near. But Iris don't worry, don't you cry, cause I'll make sure everything is fine."
I continue, Iris slows down to a whine...he's listening, he's actually fucking listening!

Iris slowly calms down more and more, staring at me like im his whole world right now...its amazing how interested he is now that i started singing, Amanda really knew how to get his attention, huh..? I wonder if he misses his mom...

"I don't really see how that makes you feel better...but at least you've stopped crying."
I mumble, wiping the tears off his chubby little cheeks.

The boat goes into what looks like a...another island-like area, with a door shaped hole going into the wall, a single torch is by the hole as well. Iris slowly drifts back off to his nap as the boat slows down at the island, scraping on the land.

I get off quickly and step onto the stone floor, eyeing the area in front of me...there's green sludge on the stone wall as well, but none on the hole itself...it looks like cartoon vomit, but more realistic...gross.

...i wonder what that hole leads to..