"So, since we have to have grades into the principal by Wednesday of the last week of the quarter and the project was due the Friday of the last week. I have changed the due date.", he says, picking up a paper.

If this project is due any earlier...I might scream.

"I've decided on making the project due that Friday of the first week of the new quarter. It'll be the first big grade in the gradebook for the fourth quarter."

I let out the biggest breath ever. That's relieving. We have an extra two weeks...we can do this. If Ricky can get his mind together-

"Now, remember, since fourth quarter is mainly testing, since it's the last quarter of the year, you need to do good on this project. We won't have many grades and this project is worth 100 points. If you fail, that won't be too good.", he explains.

My finger begins to tap on the desk, and I begin to feel my anxious. At the rate we're going...we're gonna fail this project and then I'm gonna fail this class. I glance back at Ricky and meet eyes with him before I quickly turn away.

Mr. Mazzara releases us to work on our projects for the rest of the class period. I stumble to the back of the room and take a seat next to Ricky's desk. And...much to my dismay, I start to conversate.

"Do you wanna work on the project after school?", I ask.

He shrugs, "Guess so. We can go to your house."

My eyes widen, "Um...actually- can we not? Can we uh go to y-yours?"

He rolls his eyes, "We always go there. Plus, I said I didn't wanna work after school together."

I sigh, "Ricky, I know but we need to get moving or we'll fail!"

"I don't care.", he bluntly says.

I roll my eyes at him, "Have you come up with anything?"

"Have you?", he asks.

"Not really! Kinda hard to write a love song with somebody you don't love!"

"Ouch.", he chuckles, looking at me.

I can't help but let out a laugh too. Don't get me wrong...Ricky's nice...but I really do hate him sometimes still. It's not as much as I used too but...it's still there.

"Roberts. Bowen. Keep it down please.", Mr. Mazzara warns us.

I look at Ricky and press my lips together, holding in my laugh. Once we calmed down, I look back at Ricky, who oddly enough was already looking at me.

"That was embarrassing.", I chuckle.

"Nah...but it's your fault.", he laughs.

"What! No, it's not!", I argue.

"You laugh too loud", he says, "But whatever, it's cute."

See...he's doing the thing again. He was mean, and now he's all...I don't even know. It's so confusing. It's almost like he likes me or something...but only when we're alone and none of his friends are here.

I awkwardly just smile at him before I sit back in my seat.

"So, uh...back to the song...", I clear my throat.

Ricky's pov

The bell rings and everybody jumps up, slinging their bags over their shoulders, running out of the door

The bell rings and everybody jumps up, slinging their bags over their shoulders, running out of the door. I was so glad the day was finally done...it's the weekend now. I take my time as I pack my things away and walk out of the classroom, towards my locker. As I'm putting things away, I feel a tap on my shoulder.

"Gina?", I scrunch my brows.

She smiles widely, "That's me."

"What're you doing? Don't you have...somewhere to be?", I ask.

"Nope I don't.", she nonchalantly replies.

"So...what're you doing? Aren't you going home?", I question, closing my locker.

"Well...I decided to check up on how it's going with you and your weirdo girlfriend...", she sarcastically smiles.

"Gina. I don't have the proof yet, okay? And I still don't understand the whole thing since I'm not her boyfriend and she's not my girlfriend??", I argue.

"I already told you. If you like her and date her, we're not friends. It's simple Ricky.", she speaks, smiling and walking through the exit doors.

I stand in the doorway as I watch her walk away. I'll admit it...Nina's a little cute okay? But definitely not worth losing my best friend. I'll just have to forget every conversation I've had with Nina and go back to normal.

I hate Nina.

Nina's pov

I walk out of the school's exit doors and see a familiar curly haired boy hanging around his car with another girl. I smile and walk up to the two.

"Hi Ricky!", I greet.

He turns his head to see me and then he instantly looks annoyed at me. I give him a weird look.

"Bowen what's wrong?", I chuckle.

"What're you doing here?", he whines.

"Uh...okay then I'll just leave, I guess...", I quietly speaks, looking down at the floor.

What's happening?

I begin walking away and as I open my car door, I look up to see the curly haired girl walking towards me.

"Hey I'm Gina!", she greets.

"Hi! Yeah...I saw you messaged me on Instagram!", I smile.

"Oh right! About that, do you maybe wanna hang this weekend?", she asks me.

I get taken aback by her question. She really wants to hang out with me? Is it just me...or is this a little odd and suspicious? But I mean...I could use new friends, and she seems nice. Why not?

I shrug, "Sure! We can go to the park or something?"

She smiles, "Sounds good."

I nod my head and get into my car as she walks away, a smile plastered on my face. Maybe this is my chance? Maybe I won't dislike Ricky's friends like I dislike him. Maybe I'll get more popular? Maybe I'll have new friends!!