Prologue

Prologue: Decision

The fact is, we're stranded. The sound of my heartbeat seems to drown out the noise, the bullets, the raging cries behind me. We live on the edge, a distant colony on a distant section of space.

The blood flings from my skin, the force from my moving arms splattering droplets across the panels underneath. Our population diminishes as our lands break apart underneath us, shrinking like a leaf burning from the edges. I can hear them, the crowd, the last pathetic roar of a dying beast.

Maintenance is our life, our creed in an ever shrinking world. The light begins to fade just as my breath begins to take its toll on my stamina. "If we just hang on a little longer." they tell us "They'll find us again." As my breaths turn to frantic panting, I approach the edge, the bright, red, luminescent panels ahead slowly slimming to a single layer, the outermost of which were beginning to break away.

But the truth is...

I turn around, the transparent panel beneath me beginning to flicker and I smile.

There isn't anything worth saving. I whisper, I can feel my weight pressing down on the dying square panel, its light flickering off and with one last look at the mob ahead, the panel breaks apart and I fall into the abyss. The sudden rush of air resistence pushed back against me, my consciousness slowly waning as gravity shifts and the air becomes thinner as I approach the border of our oxygen field.