14. Never Hurt You

Start from the beginning

This place is sketchy as. I get goosebumps just thinking about how eery it is. Why is Rafe even here? I look around for any human activity but I don't see any. Rafe disappeared behind the van. One of the lights flick on from a nearby van and it is enough to light up the area. I see a group of people standing together and one person standing alone opposite them. I lean forwards, trying to get a better look. That's when I see the orange shirt and realise that it is Rafe standing alone.

I hear a lot of shouting and one of the people from the group dart towards Rafe. Rafe pushes the person away and the man in black stumbles backwards towards the group. I unbuckle my seatbelt and reach forwards. I open the jockey box and stick my hand down the bottom. Beneath the loose papers, I feel a hard object. I pick up Rafe's gun and shakily hold it in my hands.

This is my first time holding a gun.

The shouting grows louder and the group all make their way towards Rafe. I open the door which unlocks the car and I jump out of it. I run over to where they are standing and see that two guys are on top of Rafe, throwing punches and kicking his abdomen. I fire a bullet onto the floor. This stops them from throwing punches on Rafe's face and kicking his ribs.

"Get off of him." I shout to the two hooded men.

"Woah country club, I think you need to tell your friend here to calm down. You know, she's pretty cute. I don't know what the hell she sees in you but by the way she's holding that gun, I think I know why you two have a connection." The guy standing to the side with a man bun says to Rafe who is still lying on the ground. My heart sinks when I see blood coming from his mouth and nose. It is terrible lighting here so I can only imagine how much worse it really is.

I point the gun towards one of the men and slowly walk towards them. "I said get off."

The two men hold their hands up and back away from Rafe. The guy with the man bun has a sly smirk on his face. He walks over to me and stands directly in front of the gun.

"You ever shot someone before? I hope it wasn't a cop like country club over here."

While I am staring at the guy who daringly makes his way closer to me, Rafe stands to his feet and hobbles over to me. He places his hand on top of the gun and takes it out of my hands. I place my hands in my pockets because they are trembling from holding the gun. He uses the hand that is holding the gun to support the injuries on his stomach. He uses his other hand to spin me around and push me towards the car.

"To be continued." The guy with the man bun shouts after us. "You're welcome back too, blondie." He says and this earns some laughter from his group of friends. When we reach the car, Rafe grabs onto my hand and spins me around to face him.

"Fuck Scarlett, I told you to stay in the damn car. You never listen, do you?" He waves the gun around in front of him while shouting at me. "Why the fuck do you never listen?" He walks closer to me and my eyes remain on the gun in his hands. For every step he takes forwards, I take one back. Eventually my back comes into contact with his car and my body presses against it while he continues moving closer to me. I stare up at him and look into his dark eyes which are filled with anger.

"I thought they were going to-"

"They won't do fucking shit to me." He slams his hand against the window beside my head and I close my eyes, afraid that his hand was going to land on my face instead. I can feel his hot breaths against my skin as his face nears mine.

I slowly open my eyes and stare at him, internally praying that he won't hurt me. "Rafe." I say his name, trying to snap him out of this rage-filled trance that he is in. I've seen this violent look many times before, but usually they come from dark brown eyes.