The Weight of Discrimination

They all take out their books and parchment, getting everything ready, all the while Oliver and Nora look nervously at them.

"Where's Andrea?" Erin asks what everyone else is wondering.

"Andrea changed her mind about the group," Oliver says, frowning and looking down.

"Yeah," Nora sighs, exasperated, "She seemed so excited this morning and then all of sudden she changed her mind and we don't really know why."

"That's strange," Cathleen looks sadly around at the table full of their friends and the three empty chairs then back towards Nora and Oliver. They all mutter under their breath similar phrases, including, "That's too bad," and "Can't imagine why."

Danielle Turner speaks up then, surprising everyone around her, "Maybe it'll be better than, if we all work on our projects in our assigned pairs I mean. We wouldn't want the papers to be too similar would we?"

Cleo shrugs, "I guess you're right, we could go somewhere else if you want, Turner."

Danielle raises an eyebrow, "I was actually hoping we could stay in the library, I'd like to get on with the project with no more waiting around."

Nora interjects, "I'm sorry for all the trouble guys, really but I guess we should go meet with Andrea about the assignment."

"You're both fine, really," Erin jumps up and gives them both hugs, "Izzy and I can go to our spot to work on the assignment."

Izzy nods in agreement, standing to gather their books and follow Erin, "Yeah, it's no big deal and tell Andrea it's perfectly fine if she didn't want to work in a big group, she seemed sweet so don't let her feel guilty."

They all say their goodbyes then the four scamper off in different directions.

Joseph and Cathleen start to gather their things as well, since Danielle had all but claimed the table for her and Cleo. She turns to Joseph with an idea, "Do you maybe want to work outside, near the lake?"

"Yeah, that sounds great."
~~~~~
"Why the Lake?" Joseph asked her randomly as she was scribbling onto the outline they'd been discussing.

"Dunno, I guess it reminds me of home a bit. My dads' cottage, it's sort of remote but there's a beach nearby. We go there tons over the summers and this definitely isn't the same, but it reminds me of all that."

"Hmm," he hums, looking back towards the open book and not responding.

"You don't have a place like this in the castle or just anything really, to remind you of home?"

"Not something I want to be reminded of, if I'm be honest," he says, laying back on the ground.

She sets the paper down and lays down next to him. "If you want to talk about it, I'm here."

He turns to smile at her before looking back at the sky, "I know. It's just the whole Oliver thing really."

"What about Oliver?" She asks, eyes set on the clouds.

"It's not Oliver, per se, it's the situation itself. My dad works in the ministry, he's not exactly a fan of what he considers to be 'unnatural' including, gay people. And even though he didn't agree with Voldemort's methods I know he thinks muggleborns are sub par compared to what he considers 'real wizards'. My mother is a cruel woman, not much else to say but she enjoys seeing others in pain, I think they'd beat me if they ever found out I fancied a boy, much less a muggleborn. My aunt, the one I told you worked on your dad's team, I haven't seen her in almost three years, after she came out."

Cathleen sees him tear up and she can't help but grab his arm and pull him into a warm embrace. "Joseph, I'm really sorry but I hope you know, if you ever need a place to get away, well you're always welcome at my place."

He hugs her back for a while before pulling back with a groan, "The worst part is I'm not gay, I know I fancy girls but I simply can't stop thinking about Oliver."

"You can't help who you are or who you like. I know you might be wishing you had never started to feel this way but listen, there's nothing wrong with you. It's not 'unnatural,' it's completely normal and the fact that your parents are like that says more about them than it does you, it's not your fault."

"Thanks Cathy, I know that. Maybe I should worry less about it, I mean it's not as if they have to know anything at the time being," he smirks.

She giggles falling back on the ground, "And does that mean you're going to tell Oliver you fancy him?"

Joseph's cheeks tint pink, "Maybe, but how would one do that? It's not as if I can ask him to Hogsmeade."

"There's lots you could do. You could write him a poem, pick some flowers for him, or you could just tell him and see what he says, or ask him on a walk or to help you study, that's basically telling him you like him without actually having to say it."

He scrunches up his nose in thought, "How do you know so much about stuff like that?"

"Let's just say I've had some very good role models when it comes to romance, my dads, aunts and uncles, well they're all disgustingly in love. Sometimes it can be bothersome but I know should I ever want to pursue someone I'll know how to treat them and better yet how I should be treated."

He nods in agreement, "Then perhaps I should come to you whenever I need advice."

She smiles brightly, "And you're quite welcome to. Should we finish up this outline? It'll soon be time for dinner and I'm feeling a pit peckish."
~~~~~
They head back to castle when they're finished with the outline, but they still had a little time before dinner. So when Cathleen spotted Andrea sitting alone in the courtyard she insisted Joseph go ahead without her.

Andrea noticed her approaching and she looked around nervously almost as if she were looking for a direction she could run.

"Alright there, Philips?" She asks, cautiously approaching the frightened girl.

"Yeah," she nods, "I just realized I have somewhere to be."

"Wait, please don't leave. I know you don't know me well and I don't really know you either but I'm concerned about you, has someone said or done something to scare you." Andrea looks around hesitantly before nodding.

"Well you can tell me, I promise I won't say anything but maybe I can help."

She sighs, relenting, "It was Ivy Jugson, if you must know. She overheard me and your friends talking about the project. Apparently being a muggleborn in Slytherin besmirches the name enough. She says if I hang out with you at all I'll get what's coming to me."

Cathleen eyes the girl in shock for a few seconds before declaring, "Well we must go to the headmaster with this. You can't have her just threatening you. I swear Jugson is nothing but trouble."

"No," the girl practically shouts before in a quieter voice saying, "Listen it's her and her friends' word against mine. And I might not know much about the Wizarding World but if it's anything like the Muggle World, my word means shit compared to theirs."

Before Cathleen can say anything else, she runs off.

{A/N}
Hey guys, I'm so sorry this chapter took so long to put out. Its definitely not my best but here's an update anyways. :)