1. The Hayloft

Começar do início

     Presently, however, he lifted his head and listened. Who could that be talking to him: The wind was rising again , and getting very loud, and full of rushes and whistles. He was sure someone was talking---and very near him, too, it was. But he was not frightened, for he had not yet learned how to be; so he sat up and hearkened. At last the voice, which, though quite gentle, sounded a little angry, appeared to come from the back of the bed. He crept nearer to it and laid his ear against the wall. Then he heard nothing but the wind, which sounded very loud, indeed. The moment, however, that he moved his head from the wall, he heard the voice again, close to his ear. He felt about with his hand and came upon the piece of paper his mother had pasted over the hole. Against this he laid his ear, and then he heard the voice quite distinctly. There was, in fact, a corner of the paper loose, and through that, as from a mouth in the wall, the voice came.

     "What do you mean, little boy--closing up my window?"

     "What window?" asked Diamond.

     "You stuffed hay into it three times last night. I had to blow it out again three times."

     "You can't mean this little hole! It isn't a window; it's a hole in my bed."

     "I did not say it was a window: I said it was my window."

     "But it can't be a window because windows are holes to see out of."

     "Well, that's just what I made this window for."

     "But you are outside; you can't want a window."

     "You are quite mistaken. Windows are to see out of, you say. Well, I'm in my house, and I want windows to see out of it."

     "But you've made a window into my bed."

     "Well, your mother has got three windows into my garret."

     "But I heard Father say, when my mother wanted him to make a window through the wall, that it was against the law, for it would look into Mr. Dyves's garden."

     The voice laughed.

     "The law would have some trouble to catch me!" it said.

     "But if it's not right, you know," said Diamond, "that's no matter. You shouldn't do it."

     "I am so tall I am above that law," said the voice.

     "You must have a tall house, then," said Diamond.

     "Yes; a tall house: the clouds are inside it."

     "Dear me!" said Diamond and thought a minute. "I think, then, you can hardly expect me to keep a window in my bed for you. Why don't you make a window into Mr. Dyves's bed?"

     "Nobody makes a window into an ashpit," said the voice rather sadly. "I like to see nice things out of my windows."

     "But he must have a nicer bed than I have, though mine is very nice--so nice that I couldn't wish a better."

     "It's not the bed I care about; it's what is in it. But you just open that window."

     "Well, Mother says I shouldn't be disobliging; but it's rather hard. You see, the north wind will blow right in my face if I do."

     "I am the North Wind."

     "O-o-h!" said Diamond thoughtfully. "Then will you promise not to blow on my face if I open your window?"

     "I can't promise that.

     "But you"ll give me the toothache. Mother's got it already."

     "But what's to become of me without a window?"