"You're sure you want to tell them?" I asked, hoping he would say no but I knew better.

"I can't keep something like this from my mother."

"You can't?" I looked at him, raising a brow.

"How could I hide it that the girl I've wanted for ye—," he cut himself off before sighing. "Actually, if you really don't want to tell them, we don't have to. It's up to you..."

"I'm not sure. It's just such a toss-up... they can't get their hopes up."

"Hopes up about what?" he inquired, his voice suddenly laced with concern.

"That their agreement is some roaring success. I mean, you and I have only just started... whatever this is between us."

"A relationship, isn't it?" he asked.

His eyebrows were tugged together, causing his forehead to wrinkle. He often looked confused, but not like this. It felt like he was clinging onto every word, grasping onto the last syllable that I would let out and have his mind compute and process it a hundred times over. I couldn't pinpoint what he was doing, but some wheels in his mind were definitely turning.

"Is it? We haven't confirmed anything."

"We... we're married, y/n. Do we need confirmation?" he choked out, almost like he was holding in a breath. His lips were parted, sort of like a dog staring.

"Not legally, I suppose. But just between the two of us, it might be nice to talk about it at some point."

"Oh," he sighed, "I don't know what you need confirmation for. Don't you know how I— it's fine. I just figured we didn't need that."

"You don't think we should discuss it?"

I was a little disappointed at that, but it would explain why we didn't have that conversation just yet. It would make sense that if he thought it wasn't necessary that we wouldn't talk about it.

"What's to discuss? You're mine."

I playfully rolled my eyes. "You know what I mean, Draco."

He didn't look like he did. While I had tried to chuckle and lighten the mood, he seemed less entertained, like that "you're mine" comment was dead serious. His eyes were narrowed and focused like they always were when he was in thought.

"I don't."

I furrowed my eyebrows, confused at his sudden monosyllabic responses. Why was he so distraught all of a sudden?

"We can talk about it some other time," I shook my head. "I'm not asking for that here on the train."

"Right," he slumped in his seat a bit, his arms loosening from around me. "I'm going to try to sleep. Wake me up when we get there, y/n."

He removed his arms completely, shuffling into the corner of the seat and resting his head against the top of the seat and the train. It didn't look comfortable at all. I was going to offer that he could lay his head on my shoulder or lap if he wanted to, but by the looks of it, he was isolating into himself. When he got like this, I couldn't try to help; he wouldn't want it.

———

"Y/n, darling, it's so good to have you home!" My mother engulfed me in a giant hug, followed by my father's much more simple and short one.

"I trust your finals went well?" my father asked, causing me to roll my eyes.

"Yes, papa," I assured him. "I'm just glad that I'm home for the Christmas now."