"Shouldn't you be out dealing with your...business? You've been busy lately." I say, trying to avoid any conversation about why I was in the hospital in the first place.

"I could care less about some fucking papers I need to sign right now, Gia." Cristiano says, looking at me as if I was crazy. I didn't like when he looked at me that way. I was conditioned to feel this way because of him.

"I want to go home. Why couldn't I just be taken care of there?" I say tiredly.

"Because you were passed out in a pool of blood on the floor of the shower. I wasn't going to wait around for a doctor to show up. I needed to get you help." He said, frustrated. I felt like a brat.

"I'm sorry." I said, but I wasn't sure what I was apologizing for. For criticizing his decision making, or losing his child.

I started to cry again. I didn't like crying in front of people, especially Cristiano. I started to cover my face, but Cristiano grabbed my hands and stopped me.

"I'm only going to say this once Gia, this is not your fault. This was beyond anyone's control. We're both young, we have plenty of time to figure this out." He says, holding my hands. I wanted to take his words to heart, and I wanted to believe they were true. But I couldn't.

"What if I can't have children?" I ask, looking up at him.

He looked a bit surprised by the question, but he was trying not to show it. I stared into his eyes. I said nothing, but my eyes said everything. Are you going to kill me?

Suddenly a phone rang loudly, making me jump a little. Cristiano takes his phone out of his pocket and lets out a frustrated sigh.

"I have to take this, I'll be back in a few minutes." He says, getting up out of the chair and leaving the room.

How convenient... I thought to myself.

A few minutes went by, then the door opened again. I looked up, but I was a little confused when Cristiano didn't walk though the door. Instead it was a nurse. She looked older, almost friendly. She reminded me of Beatrice.

"Ciao." She said, with a calm smile. I nod at her politely.

"Parla qualsiasi inglese?" (Do you speak English) I asked shyly. I didn't want to come of as rude.

"I do." She said in English. I could barely understand her over her accent, but I was too tired to speak fluent Italian right now.

She came over to me and started to press some buttons on the machine. I wish I knew what she was doing, but I had never been in a hospital room before.

She gently takes my arm and lifts it towards her.

"I need to draw your blood, is that ok?" She asks. I had to take a minute to fully make out was she was saying, eventually I realized.

"Sure." I said. She took a syringe with a needle off of a tray she had carried in. She put the needle against the large vein in my arm. I shut my eyes as I felt the needle go in. I had rarely ever had my blood drawn, and I couldn't stand needles.

"I know who you are." She says suddenly. I look up at her.

"E-excuse me?" I say, confused. The syringe starts to slowly fill up with blood.

"You're the wife of the Don, you're in the Mafia." She answers, almost casually. I felt like my head was spinning. Her accent made it hard to understand what she had said. At first I thought maybe I misheard her. I started to get nervous.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I said quickly. She smiled sympathetically.

"It's not a big secret, all of Italy knows about the Mafia. I just..." She's interrupted as blood starts to drip on the floor. The syringe was overflowing with blood.

"Fanculo!" (Fuck) She cursed and quickly took the needle out of my arm. I hissed at the pain. She put a bandaid over my arm and put the needle and syringe back on the tray. She turned back to me.

"I just know that...women like you don't have an easy life. Mafia men don't treat their women very well." She says. I didn't know what to say. What was I supposed to say. Nobody had prepared me for this type of situation.

"I appreciate your concern but I'm fine." I said defensively. I wanted her to leave. She was putting me, and herself at risk by even talking to me about this.

"I know why you're in the hospital. And I know that infertile women in the Mafia are considered useless. You're in danger, but I can help you get out of it. Just say the word and I will call the police." She says, like she was begging me to let her help.

I just sat there in shock. I didn't know that there was so much common knowledge about the Mafia, or that so many people knew who I was. But I knew she was right. If I was infertile, then I wasn't safe. One phone call. One phone call is all it would take and I could get out of this. I could be free from this life that had been destroying me from the inside out ever since I was born. But deep down, I knew I couldn't do it.

"Get out. Get out right now." I said sternly.

"B-but..." She said.

"If you don't leave right now I will scream. If you tell anyone about this I will have you wiped off the face of the earth before you can even blink. Get out!" I yell.

She quickly grabbed the tray and ran out of the room.

My heart was beating fast. So fast I almost felt sick. I needed to get out of here.

A few minutes later Cristiano came back in the room. The doctor followed behind him.

"We're going home." He says, then grabs the doctor by the arm and pushed him towards me. The doctor quickly starts undoing all the wires and turning the machine off. I didn't like the way Cristiano had treated him. The doctor was just trying to do his job.

Eventually I was unhooked from all the machines, and I started to get off of the bed.

"Ha bisogno di una sedia a rotelle, non dovrebbe camminare." (She needs a wheelchair, she shouldn't be walking) He says, stopping me before I stood up.

Cristiano walks over to the bed. He picks me up bridal style, and carries me out of the room. I look over his shoulder to see the doctor.

"Thank you." I mouthed to him as I was carried away. He nodded, with a look of pity on his face.

We made it out into the front of the hospital. Where a big black car was waiting at the front of the parking lot. One of the many guards standing around the car opens the door. Cristiano carefully places me in the car, and shuts the door. He moves to the other side of the car, and gets in. As soon as he shuts his door the car starts moving.

There are 3 cars in front of us and 2 cars behind us. It seemed so excessive that we had to have so many people follow us just to get me home. I felt like a burden. But I knew who they were all really there to protect. The Don.

My fears were interrupted by the goosebumps forming on my legs and arms. It was freezing, and I was still only wearing the hospital gown. I shivered as the cold bit at every inch of uncovered skin. Cristiano seemed to notice, as he reached over and turned the heat up before taking his coat off and wrapping it around me. He took my arm and pulled me onto his lap.

If I could I would've smiled. I liked when he did that. It made me feel like he cared about me, and it made me feel safe. I rested my head against his chest. We didn't say a word to each other. He just held me, and I just breathed. Trying not to think about how much longer I would be alive.

let me know what you guys think in the comments. also, please message me outfit ideas for gia cause im going to go back and change a lot of them cause people keep complaining 😭😭 love you guys!!