46. Decisions and a Dancing Werewolf

Sunday, 9th February 1975

The Three Broomsticks was filled with Hogwarts students owing to their Hogsmeade trip before the Valentine's ball on the next weekend. The streets had a bit of late winter snow cluttering the edges, but it had become a sludgy brown mess from the crowds that had invaded the pavements that morning.

Since Regulus was now in third year, he was also allowed to visit the village; his previous trip had been spent with Barty Crouch, which apparently hadn't been that dull of an experience. However, this time, he had asked Madiha to accompany him, on account of something he wanted to talk to her about.

Sirius had been ready to throw a fit at this, as it meant this was yet another time she wouldn't be going with the boys to the village, but Madiha reasoned that she spent enough time with them already, and that she'd barely gotten a chance to be around Regulus over the past month.

Madam Rosmerta wore a hospitable smile as she lowered two tankards of butterbeer in front of them, pinching Madiha on the cheek affectionately before walking away to another table. Eager to satisfy her craving for the warm drink, Madiha lifted her tankard to her lips.

"So, what did you want to talk about, Reg?"

The grey-eyed boy seemed to do a quick once-over of their area, having insisted on choosing a more isolated corner of the pub. Yet he still appeared concerned that someone might eavesdrop. From the corner of her eye, she could see the boys sitting many tables away, with Remus having slightly forgiven them all by now, but they were all too far away to notice where she and Regulus were.

She tried to lighten the mood. "Are you planning a murder?"

Not even a hint of a smile. "We wouldn't be in here if I was."

Regulus gave her the distinct impression that he had definitely thought out how to murder someone before, and she couldn't help feeling just the slightest bit worried about what went on in his head.

"Right," she nodded slowly, "So not a murder."

The boy didn't seem to hear her, though.

"Maddi, you can't laugh when I tell you this," he started abruptly, "Or do anything embarrassing."

Madiha had the vaguest idea of where this conversation was headed.

"What would I do to embarrass you?" she raised a brow.

"I don't know," he muttered, "Scream or something?"

"You're so dramatic."

"I'm not."

"You are," she smiled sweetly.

Pulling his tankard closer to himself, Regulus rolled his eyes. "Just don't make fun of me, okay?"