I Hate You (And Other Annoying Things Preteens Say)

Start from the beginning

He walks with her down the stairs into the kitchen to put Penny on her high chair, and he sees Lilly talking to Derek as he makes breakfast. She's trying to convince him of something, and he just keeps shaking his head while making bowls of cereal. “Lilly, if you keep pestering your father then I-and Uncle Scott-will go to the dance.” Stiles threatens, and she snaps her mouth shut with an audible pop. Derek chuckles as he passes out the bowls of food to the twins, and Lilly huffs at Stiles while taking her seat. “See, we do compromise.” Stiles tells her, straightening up Penny before looking for her baby food in the cabinets.

Lilly mumbles something under her breath that Stiles doesn't hear, but Derek does because he turns around quickly to glare at her. “Do you really want to go to that dance, Lilly Erica? Because with that attitude you're going to be staying her with your dad.” Derek tells her, firmly. Lilly's cheeks turn red and splotchy like she's about to start crying, but quits soon after.

“Well, if I don't go then there's no reason for you to go.” Lilly says, and Stiles tries his best to give her a look while trying to feed Penny. Derek gives her an almost wicked grin before sitting down at the table with his toast and coffee.

“No, I would still go. In a shirt that says “Lilly's Pop” on it, and I would dance to every single one of those songs by that stupid band you like.” Derek tells her, and Stiles laughs out loud as does the twins.

“That would be awesome, Poppy. We could make it for you!” Nicklaus says, and Nathan nods in agreement. Derek smiles at them while Lilly looks absolutely livid and she turns her head to look at him.

“Shut up, you little dog.” She hisses, and Stiles whips his head around to look at her.

“Lilly Erica, no ma'am. You know better than to make dog jokes, what have I been telling you? Apologize then go upstairs and get your stuff together.” Stiles tells her, and Lilly looks like she wants to argue but thankfully doesn't.

“Sorry.” She says, before scrapping the legs of her chair on the floor and heading upstairs. As soon as she leaves, Nicklaus sniffs quietly making Nathan hug him.

“Oh, honey. She doesn't mean it. Wolves aren't dogs, I mean technically yes they are, but you're better than a mangy mutt. You're a werewolf and that's nothing to be ashamed of.” Stiles tells him, and he sniffs once before nodding. Derek is already making his way upstairs, probably to give his patented speech about how humans and werewolves were equal in this house and name calling will not be tolerated at all, and Stiles moves to get the boys ready for the bus. “Okay, boys. Dry those tears and get ready for school, big day today like always.” Stiles tells them, and they give him identical smiles before moving to go upstairs. “You better never grow up or talk.” Stiles tells Penny, and she splats her hands in her food in answer.

****

Stiles is walking around the house, picking up messes or just wondering aimless he isn't sure, and he goes back to his office. He's a write, a best seller at that, but he's suffering from a severe case of writers block so he just wonders around looking for things to do. He debates calling Derek at the station to see what he is doing, but he doesn't want to bother him.

Penny is down for a nap so he can't play with her, so he just tries to make himself write as he waits until it's time to pick up the kids. He sometimes watches Scott and Kira's son, but not today, so he just tries to fill the absences. His mind drifts to what's wrong with Lilly, it cannot be teenage angst she's only twelve, and then Stiles makes a groaning noise when he realizes that he's still got to deal with her as a teen. Stiles sighs in annoyance before he hears Penny cry out, and he climbs up the stairs with a smile and he forgets about it for a while.