Chapter 36

Ebony's POV

I heard Kenna give an excited gasp from behind me. Sleipnir's ears perked up and I looked over to see the Bifrost slowing down. We were just riding in from the city after Kenna spent a day at Rowan's house. I turned Sleipnir towards the Bifrost, assuming they both sensed something I didn't. Kenna was practically jumping out of the saddle as we drew closer. I pushed her down.

"Calm down, we're almost there. Who's here?"

"Helloo!"

I looked up. Hel stood just outside the Bifrost. I grinned and flicked Sleipnir's reins. He ran down the bridge, just as excited to see her. We slid to a stop and Kenna jumped down, running into Hel's open arms. Hel lifted her up and swung her around.

"Look at you! You just get prettier every year." Kenna grinned as Hel set her down. Sleipnir snorted, feeling left out. Hel laughed and hugged him. "Hello to you too!" She leaned back and laughed as he nuzzled her. Patting his side, she turned to me. I smiled and opened my arms. She hugged me tight.

"Hey, kiddo. What's up?" I pulled back and smoothed her hair down.

"Well, I wanted to visit and..." She paused as Sleipnir pounded the ground with his hoof and fidgeted. He looked around nervously. Kenna ran to stand behind me.

"Mom, who's that?"

I turned to see a tall, pale man walking down the bridge to us. He walked with his hands behind his back. His snow white hair fell down his back and he kept brushing it out of his face. He wore light, slim fitting black clothing and a long coat. He smiled in a strange way as he approached. Stopping in front of me, he held out his hand. I shook it hesitantly.

"Luk?" I asked, assuming it couldn't be anyone else.

He smiled again, bowing over my hand. "Lady Ebony, it is good to finally meet you."

"Nice of you to finally make your way over." I managed a nervous smile. Something about him seemed off. I couldn't put my finger on it but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. He knelt down and looked at Kenna. "Hello! Are you the famous Kenna I hear so much about?" Kenna hid behind my leg, clutching at my trousers. He chuckled and stood up. I stared at his frame.

His thin shoulders curved a little, as if he were too tall for his bones to support. He had thin irises of a silvery grey that met my gaze with a strangely dead light to them, as if he was trying to be friendly but didn't know how. It made my skin crawl. A stale smell wafted from his skeleton-like stature. I wondered for a moment if Hel was even aware of it but I quickly realized that she smelled much the same. Death clung to them like glue.

I shook myself, realizing I was staring. "Sorry. Um, what brings you?"

"I've something for you and Loki. But I wish to speak with the council as a whole."

"Oh okay."

Kenna finally stepped out from around my leg and looked at him curiously. He smiled down at her. "Hi." She murmured.

"Hello. Finally coming out, are we?"

I watched as Hel took his hand. She smiled as he struggled to get Kenna to talk. He crouched down and sat back on his heels, his hand still in Hel's. I looked at her, frowning.

"Creepy?" I mouthed, nodding to him.

She bit back a laugh. "So I'm told." She shrugged.

"Told what, love?" Luk looked up. She rubbed his hand and shook her head.

"You've made mother uncomfortable is all." I grimaced.

"Ah." He smiled at me. "Apologies. What have I done?"