Chapter Two: Hard Times at the Huskin' Bee

Start from the beginning

     "Yes. Pottsfield. C'mon, Greg." Scout grabbed the boy's hand and followed behind her friend.

     "What about the favor?" The bird called.

     Greg turned to her with a bright smile. "I'll think of my wish later!"

-------------------------------------------------

     Scout irritably sighed at the feeling of claws softly digging into her left shoulder. "Hey," The bird softly started in her ear. "I think we got off on the wrong foot here. What's your name?"

     "Just call me Scout."

     "Wait, seriously? Scout?"

     The girl snapped her head to look at the bird. "Wanna get off on the wrong foot again?"

     "Whoo, someone is sassy," She gently tapped her cheek with her wing. "Well, Scout, you seem like a very capable young lady. What if I say... we ditch these goons and you come with me to Adelaide?"

      Scout rolled her eyes and batted the winged creature off of her shoulder. "Then I say no. Never."

     Rolling her eyes, the bluebird huffed and flew next to Greg, no doubt attempting to convince the poor boy to ditch his brother and walk off with some stranger. Scout knew that Greg was smarter than that, better than that, so she didn't bother scolding the bird. Noticing her now flapping above his shoulder, the boy brightly smiled. "So, let's small talk. My name's Greg. What's yours?"

     "Beatrice."

     "My brother's name is Wirt."

     "Who cares?"

     Wirt frowned and glanced at them over his shoulder. Scout sighed and shook her head.

     "And my frog's name is Wirt Jr." Greg gently rubbed his frog's back. "But that may change."

     "Okay. That's great," Beatrice lowered her voice as to not alert the two teens in front of them. "How about you and I ditch your brother and his girlfriend?"

     Greg hummed in uncertainty and looked away. "Maybe later."

     Scout nearly tripped over a large pumpkin nestled within the patch they walked through. Wirt didn't notice this and kept his gaze forward. "So, Scout, you'll do the talking when we get there. Right?"

     Huffing, the girl placed her hands on her hips. "If I must, you big wuss."

     "I-I'm not a wuss! I just- Aha!" He cheered and raised his fists triumphantly, the four now standing just above a town. "Civilization, see? Now-"

     Scout tried to warn him, but the teen had walked right into a pumpkin. She watched silently with narrowed eyes as he kicked and wiggled his leg out of the vegetable before flinging it to the side. Regaining his composure, he turned forward and set his fists on his hips. "Alright. Let's rejoin society."

     The "society" the group had walked into lacked one element. A society. There were plenty of houses littering the land, yet not a soul in sight. Rounding a corner, they walked between two houses as Wirt called out for any residents. "Hello? Hello? Hm... See anybody?"

     "No," Greg scanned the area before his eyes landed on his brother. "Oh! I see you!"

     Without gaining the others' attention, Scout slipped away to check inside the houses. They seemed... cozy. Each house was the same; small, single-roomed, and nearly empty. "These townsfolk need to invest in... well, everything..." Scout whispered as she shut the door to the fourth house she inspected.