Chapter Forty-Two: Pick Up The Phone

Start from the beginning

Please.

I don't want this. I don't want to be here. I want to get out of here. 

He kicks me in the side of my face. Blood drips from my nose as more people yell. Blinking the tears away, I hold my bruising cheek in my hand. My chest tightens as my breathing picks up harshly.

He winds up another kick. And another. And another. Another. Another.

I bring my satchel to my chest and hug it tightly, burying my face into the material as the tears streaming from my eyes and the blood from my nose dampen it. My head aches and I want to go home. 

Then, I find myself reaching for my phone. A few moments later, I hold it to my ear.

Brrrr. Brrrr. Brrrr. Brr—

"What's wrong? You should be in class right now." Voice as calm and unwavering as ever. "I'm about to go into a meeting. Y'know? The one I was telling you about last week."

"Can you pick me up?" I sniff out, my own voice muffled by my bag.

I hear a sigh on the other end. Movement. People asking questions about someone's whereabouts. Keys rattling. A door shutting.

"Alright, Peaches." On the other side, there's a car being started. I hear the engine running. "Want to meet me outside the carpark again? I'll tell Mum to call and say you have an appointment or some dumb shit like that."

I hold the phone tighter, leaning back into the lockers, face still buried in the bag. "No, pl—please, don't tell her." I ask, lifting my shoulders as I squeeze my eyes shut, "Just... Can you come in and make something up yourself? I don't want them calling her."

There's silence. Between the both of us. Then the voice. "Okay. Okay, that's fine with me. She's gonna' kill me, I hope you know that." 

I give a small chuckle, pulling my bag away and wiping my eyes. When I finally stand back up, I'm shaky from everything that's happened on my first day back to school. Homeroom has just started. Although, I'm feeling a little better now that I'll be leaving the school for today. 

I'll try again tomorrow, maybe.

"Sorry." I mumble out, voice hoarse. Clearing my throat doesn't help at all. "How long will it take?"

"You're lucky I'm closer to the school today. Give me, maybe, 15 mins?" I knit my brows at the idea of staying here longer. A noise I make expresses the distaste I have.

"Wait in the bathrooms, if a teacher asks why you're in there, say you're on your period and you're waiting for your friend to grab you something from your bag." 

The window on the other side of the call goes down. "If they press any further, ask them to leave because you're getting uncomfortable speaking to them while in the bathroom. They shouldn't even fucking be in there anyways."

I nod my head, already making my way to the bathrooms closest to the car park. Making sure I don't get seen by windows or anything, I squeak out, "Alright, thank you. And, uh..."

Quietness. "Come on, Y/N, you can say whatever you need to."

I swallow the lump in my throat as I enter the bathrooms. "Can we go get something to eat?"

"What? It's 8:30, haven't you eaten breakfast?" 

"I woke up late and missed my bus, so I had to walk to school."