c h a p t e r / f i v e

Start from the beginning

I knew I would be safe with my people at The Wreck, but I just couldn't bring myself to show my face there after the way I treated Brielle. So, I went to the beach to cool off and re-wax my board. I was already late enough to meeting everyone for lunch, so I took some time to actually get in the water before JB found me and dragged me to the restaurant. Luckily, he didn't notice my lip or hands on our way, so I was off the hook with explaining everything and just told him I lost track of time.

My thoughts have just been interrupted by Miss Malets- Maletas- Brielle, however you say her last name. "What about you, JJ?" I look up quickly at the sound of her gentle tone of voice and make extensive eye contact with her as I try to recall any parts of their conversation that I might have heard during my reflection of today's events.

"What abo- hm?" I ask, genuinely having no clue what I'm being questioned about.

"The best kind of milkshake is...?" Right. They're still talking about that? I look around at everyone at the table only to find that they're already staring at me, obviously recognizing that fact that I haven't been participating in the conversation.

"Oh, strawberry. No doubt." I feel myself smile, engaging in the first non-shit-talking conversation that I've had with Brielle. Taking a sip from the pink milkshake that's been in front of me since I got here, I feel my lip sting and try to hide the pain with a weird laugh.

"See? I told y'all strawberry is the best!" Brielle's arms shoot up in the air as she cheers at my response, shooting a cute 'I-told-you-so' grin at Kie, Pope, and John B. Good answer, JJ. You made her smile. We make eye contact again and smile at each other, and I think we've both realized that we actually just agreed on something for the first time.

I'm feeling a little better now, thinking I might be on better terms with Brielle than yesterday, even though neither of us have addressed that first interaction. I look around again at the boys and Kie, who pops back out in front of John B as a concerned look appears on her face.

"Your lip, J," Shit. She noticed.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

k i a r a

Leaning out to look at JJ when he answers everyone's burning milkshake question, I noticed that his lips were stained a darker shade of red and he was sporting a nasty gash. "Your lip, J," I say to him, assuming a sweet tone of voice as I talk.

He puts his finger to his lip and winces out of pain. "Oh," He begins, looking between the four of us sitting around him. "Busted it surfing."

I know that's not true. JJ Maybank is like, the surfer of all surfers. There's no way he busted his lip that hard in the water. Besides, I've known this boy for so long that I can tell when he's lying, and this is definitely one of those times. I hope he wasn't at his dad's place.

Instead of furthering the conversation with him, I just nod in response to his lie. I feel sorry for JJ, I really do. I've just never found a way to get through to him so that he feels comfortable opening up to me. To any of us, really.

The brief moment of silence is broken by Bri, who lets out a shocked "Damn!" at the sight of the boy's lip. "Must've been a nasty wipeout, huh?" I can't blame her for this response, she has no idea about JJ's dad.

The boy chuckles quietly at Bri's comment and gives her a quiet "yeah" before looking up from his milkshake. Strawberry is so gross, but at least those two will drink them. It seems like they're on better terms today than they were yesterday, and I look from JJ to Bri as they talk to each other. I soon find that my eyes are glued to the totally gorgeous strawberry-milkshake-loving girl sitting across from me.