Chapter 49

Caspian looked over the plans that were laid out before him. "Yes, I think this is the way we need to go. Perfect, thank you." 

The soldier bowed and left. Caspian looked to the centaur beside him. "Leftenant, is everything in order on your end? Have you found out any information on those trapped inside the castle?"

He nodded. "Yes, my king. And, yes, I have. Lord Regent Trumpkin is still alive, and some of the other lords are, but I'm not quite sure who."

"And Gwendolyn?" 

"I'm sorry, Your Majesty. I still don't know if she is alive," 

Caspian heaved a heavy breath. He wasn't going to lose hope.  

"Thank you. I'm ready to put our plan into motion,"

"We will tomorrow at dawn. We'll save them all, Your Majesty,"

Caspian gazed out at his home in the distance. Soon enough, he hoped, he prayed, he would have his wife back in his arms, hopefully unharmed. All he wanted to see was her beautiful face again. 

 He nodded, then looked back at his Leftenant. "Yes, yes, we will," 

~~~

The next day, the atmosphere felt strange to Gwen. She felt like something was going to happen. Perhaps she would be set free. 

"No, I won't be. She was just lying," she murmured. 

Two muffled voices spoke and then a loud clang sounded. Gwen jerked her head up. Hurried footsteps pattered against the stone and Shileenah appeared. 

"What do you want?"

The princess worked at the lock. "I am getting you out of here. The army is going to be here soon."

"Why are you helping me?" Gwen asked.

"Well, you are the rightful queen. Caspian is . . . was, a good man who married a good woman. We never would have gotten along. He's a good man but I couldn't have married him. My heart . . ." she sighed. "My heart belongs to another who is also dead. He was a good man too. I know your pain." 

Shileenah unlocked the door and hurried to unlatch Gwen's shackles. 

Gwen didn't know what to say. 

"Well, did your mother not teach you manners?" 

Gwen blinked. "Oh--Uh, thank you. Really. Thank you,"

"Come on, Gaspar is waiting. Things are getting deadly. Follow me. Oh, here. You must take this." She pulled a quiver of arrows from under her cloak. "I could not find a bow." 

Gwen gratefully took the quiver. She stood, but her legs gave out from under her, and she dropped the quiver. She scraped the wall, trying to get a grip on it to stand. 

"What is wrong with you? We must hurry," 

She shot Shileenah a look. "After sitting for as long as I have, my legs aren't going to cooperate as they should," 

"Well, we cannot wait any longer. Come!" Shileenah began to scurry away. 

Gwen began to follow her but then stopped. 

 "Oh, wait!" 

She turned around, grabbing Caspian's ring from the floor. She slipped it onto her thumb, it being the only finger that the ring would remotely fit on. 

"I'm ready now," Gwen said. 

"Come. You must comply with what I say,"  

The two young women hurried up the stairs and Gwen saw two bodies lying on the floor. It was the guards.