Samantha Ronson [Part-4]

Start from the beginning

"Thank you your honor," Harvey flipped through the pages for a second and then began reading aloud. "Failure to preform work to quality standards. Insubordinate. Poor time management skills. Inability to meet required work deadlines. Lack of appropriate communication skills. Inability to properly handle anger in the-"

"Stop."

Harvey looked up at Rodger and raised his eyebrows.

"Is there a problem?"

"That stuffs not true."

"You're saying Ms. Ronson lied on an Official document required for continuation of employment at Birch Books?"

"Hell yeah!"

"So you did preform you work to a satisfactory level?"

"Of course."

"To who's satisfaction?"

He sputtered, "mine."

"But Roger, you were Ms. Ronson's assistant. Shouldn't you be preforming to her satisfaction?" Harvey asked, sounding genuinely confused.

"Well, yes but-"

"And as her assistant shouldn't you-"

"She has no right to boss me around!"

"Because she's unqualified?"

"Because she's a woman!" Immediately Rodger's eyes widened and he looked over frantically at the jury, the women giving him scathing glares, the men looking a cross between horrified and disgusted. "I...that's not what I meant-"

"I think that's exactly what you meant, Rodger," Harvey interrupted, all trace of congeniality and confusion gone from his voice, giving the plaintiff a hard stare. "You're honor opposing council has presented no evidence to back up their sexual misconduct claim and clearly Miss Ronson had well documented grounds for terminating Rodger Goodman. I move this case be dismissed."

Both Goodman and his lawyer stood up to protest, but they didn't even get a word out before the judge banged his gavel.

"Motion accepted. This case is dismissed."

Harvey smirked and turned around just in time to see matching grins on Mike and Samantha's faces. The girl leapt out of her chair and turned to fling her arms around her brother, Mike squeezing her so tightly her feet left the ground.

Harvey approached the table and quietly began putting his things away, content to be ignored.

He nearly stumbled backward when he was wrapped in a surprisingly strong hug and surrounded by the scent of clean laundry and peaches.

"Thank you so much Harvey!" Samantha leaned back and grinned at him, suddenly looking far too young to even have been in this position in the first place.

"You're welcome," he nodded at her, smiling softly.

As suddenly as she'd attacked him Samantha was gone, having spotted a few supportive coworkers sitting a few rows back.

Mike sidled up beside Harvey, his messenger bag already slung over his shoulder.

"Thanks Harvey," he said quietly, watching his sister exchange relieved hugs and flip her hair out of her eyes.

Harvey didn't look at him as they began to exit the courtroom.

"I didn't do it for you."

Mike nodded, "I know."

Surprised by the contentment in his tone, Harvey turned to look and Mike met his gaze.

"That's why I'm thanking you."