Samantha Ronson [Part-3]

Depuis le début

"Now get me some evidence to clear her name."

Mike grinned fully.

"Yessir."

SuitsSuitsSuits

Harvey was dominating in court the next day and Mike felt the familiar mix of pride and awe as he watched him work. His swagger and confidence, that slight smirk on his lips that said he knew what the other attorney was going to say even before he said it. Mike found himself grinning into his hand after more than one snappy comeback to something the other attorney said. After all, it was in poor taste to be wearing the 'it's in the bag' face right there in open court.

But all those good feelings faded when the plaintiff, Roger Goodman, took the stand. Harvey would be the second to question the witness and opposing council was good, leaving very little room for Harvey to object to anything said. Not to mention the plaintiff was young, attractive and, Mike had to admit, extremely sympathetic.

Harvey was not happy.

He sat rigid in his chair, glaring daggers at the back of the lawyer's head. Mike found himself craning his neck to see around his sister, who sat between them, trying to gauge Harvey's reaction to each question posed.

Until the person sitting between them caught his attention a little bit more.

Samantha had been sitting quietly throughout the trial, respectful and likable, just like Harvey had told her to be. But when Roger took the stand, she didn't so much sit in her seat as remain frozen in it. And her whole face was red, a trait she shared with her brother when upset, and her hands were glowing white from wringing them in her lap.

Mike leaned over, whispering. "Are you okay?"

It wasn't until she turned to look at him that Mike realized there were tears standing in his sister's blue eyes.

"He's lying," she whispered back, voice sad and tear-broken, rocketing Mike back to a time when they were both just kids. He remembered the sting of tears he thought he was too old to shed, and the feeling of his grandmother's hand in his, and the way Samantha had been inconsolable the entire ride to the cemetery. And he remembered how it had broken his heart to hear her cry.

Suddenly Harvey leapt out of his seat, startling Mike back to the present.

"Objection your Honor, hearsay."

"Don't you object to me Mr. Specter, she violated me!" Roger erupted from the stand, "She treated me like a piece of meat! And when I didn't submit to her demands she dedicated herself to ruining my life. I'm the one who should object."

Harvey was shouting for the judge to do something about the witness, the witness continued to argue his case, the judge banged his gavel for order and the opposing lawyer insisted his client had the right to be heard. And in the confusion Samantha shot out of her chair and ran from the room.

That brought everything to a screeching halt and Mike felt his face go hot with anger when he caught sight of a self satisfied smirk on Rodger's face before he schooled his features again. Harvey looked mad enough to chew nails.

"Alright, we're going to have a ten minute recess," the judge banged his gavel again, "and councilor, when we come back I expect you to have your client under control." He said, eyeing the other attorney critically. Harvey didn't even try to suppress the smirk that crossed his face at that.

He turned around to leave the courtroom after his client and associate, but stopped short. His associate was still sitting at the table.

"Mike, what the hell are you still doing here?" He asked sharply.