Chapter 2

I cough and squint to see where the smoke is coming from. The bakery. I shield my eyes from the stinging and run in that direction. I can hear Mrs. Vicky screaming and yelling, her feet pounding on the ground. I swing open the door and push her away from the burning bread. I grab a piece of clothe and place it on the fire. It settles down, but the bread is burnt. I open all the windows of the bakery and take the tray of burnt bread as I exit the bakery. "Your welcome Mrs Vicky. The least I can do with this is bread is hand it out." Mrs. Vicky scowls and shoos me out. I go to one of the darker allies where poorer people live. Most are weak and can't be used for anything, so the government just leaves them to die. The best I can do is help and hope it gets better. I squat down waiting for them to come out. They're always scared it's the Armins, or police, of the island. I set the tray down and kick it into the darkness. I stand up, making my way to Destiny's house.

Destiny is my one and only friend. We hunt together, but usually don't get together other than that. I taught Destiny how to use a bow when she was 4 or 5 when her and my mother we're hiring for jobs. My mother got the job and I help her widowed mom the best I can. Destiny has golden blonde hair, which reminds me of the sunlight even in the dark. She has alert eyes, and I have never seen a tear in them. She is pretty good with a bow, but personally I think she's great with a sword. She's not exactly born a hunter, she falls sometimes when we go up the meadow hill and she stomps around the forest like a giant. I excuse her for that though. Her father was sent to the mines, also with mine. She doesn't suffer as much pain as I do, which is good. She told me her and her father didn't have a good relationship. I can't help that. Though she doesn't know, her father loved to drink. A lot. She doesn't need to know either.

I arrive at Destiny's house and knock on the door. No one is home. I leave the arrows and a note telling her we need a early start on hunting. I walk along the dirt road along the meadow to the Willow Tree. While walking something pushes me into the dirt. I sputter out rocks and clean my teeth spitting dirt. I wipe my mouth with the back of my hand and sit up on my elbows. I watch as the O'Conner twins run laughing. I stick my tongue out and pick the final rock out of my mouth. I stab and continue to walk. That's when I notice something. Silence. I slowly stand while pulling out my knife. A bag goes over my head and I get knocked out.