Chapter 7

The next day, Felicity sent a second friend request on Tabula. Livia hesitated a fraction and then accepted the request. She hoped she didn't regret this. Not five minutes later she got a direct message inviting her to go on a hike that weekend. Livia wanted to go. She didn't feel safe hiking alone and she might never find anyone else that wanted to go with her. Oliver wasn't the type and Whitney was away on the weekends. The weather would be perfect this weekend and with it being fall who knew when it would snow.

She accepted the invitation. Livia wasn't a hoping person but she hoped this didn't turn on her the way everything else in Caesarea did. With her being mocked or scorned or shunned.

Livia waited at the trailhead prepared with her TARP issue hiking boots--a gift from Justin Aurelius. She'd broken them in on several department training hikes. She smiled. That was a good memory of Caesarea. Livia sighed. She was supposed to stop missing random things about Caesarea by now.

She checked her pack. It had everything she needed: snacks, water, a rain poncho, sunscreen, and a first aid kit. A black SUV pulled into the lot and parked next to her car. Corvin climbed out and popped open the back. He handed Terrance a small pack, Felicity a small pack, and then grabbed his own, twice as large. Corvin grinned when he saw Livia.

"G'afternoon, Liv," he said.

She nodded.

Terrance sidled up to Livia. "How are you doing?"

She nodded. "Good."

"You didn't invite Oliver?" Felicity asked.

Livia frowned. "Was I supposed to?"

"We assumed you would," Terrance said.

"I didn't think he'd enjoy a hike so I didn't ask."

"We decided that even if his job is weird that we like him," Felicity said.

"You do?" Livia asked, confused.

"Yeah, we chatted him up after you left to go study," Terrance said. "Decent guy."

Livia agreed. "I thought so too."

Felicity laughed. "He asked us what happened with Arik."

Livia rolled her eyes. "Really?"

Terrance teased but gently. "I think Oliver likes you."

"Why don't you just tell him?" Felicity asked.

"It's hard to explain," Livia answered.

Terrance and Felicity exchanged a look.

Livia tensed. "What?" she snapped.

"We didn't realize it was complicated," Terrance shrugged.

Livia snorted. "Arik say that?"

"He said you were too different," Terrance said.

"Such bullsh--" Livia bit off her curse. She took a breath. "It doesn't matter. I don't care anymore. Let's hike."

Corvin approached with a map. "Let's decide which trail to take first."

Livia's anger didn't disappear until they had started on the trail. They selected a trail they thought wouldn't be too hard. Felicity was nervous because hiking was out of her comfort zone. Corvin had to reassure her as they set out. Terrance took the lead and Felicity slipped in behind him. Livia waited for Corvin to go before her but he stared her down and gestured with a jerk of his chin.

So, he couldn't even use words, then? Livia huffed and went in front of him. She wanted to be in the rear so she wasn't stuck in more conversations about Arik. Thankfully, though, neither Felicity or Terrance brought the topic up. Instead, she listened to them talk about non-civ people they thought were hot in their classes.