xlii. Ara

- ✦ -

     People had always associated the feeling of rage, anger, and wrath with fire, maybe that was why Orion Mikaelson had always had an affinity for flame.

     Ignalusa. That was one of the first spells that she learned when she was five years old with her Aunt Freya and her mother–ever since her mother became family, she had started to learn the type of magic and spells that Freya used, which was quite different than the type of magic that her mother's school, Beauxbatons, used to teach. The spell had stuck at the back of her mind even without her realising it sometimes.

     Unlike the Marcellous twins, Orion had to learn how to control her magic early. However, unlike Orion Mikaelson, neither of the Marcellous twins ever had any sudden moment of losing control, they both seemed content with their emotions, something that Orion never seemed to master–it was always either she felt everything at once or she put everything away at once.

     Up until now, she still wasn't sure which one was better.

    It was like muscle memory, the spell coming out of her mouth every time rage came to get the better of her. Ig-na-lu-sa, four syllables, easy to remember, and she didn't even need to use her wand. She had used the spell multiple times, even before she went to Hogwarts and all of those times she did, she did that unconsciously when she was angry. To conjure fire was what the spell is for. She liked the feeling of the magic spark running through her veins to her fingertips. She liked having the slight tingle of her palm before she conjured the fire. And she was not going to lie, she loved watching the object in front of her burn.

     Sometimes, some people just want to see the world burn. And Orion just happened to crave watching the world burn through the pit herself.

     Anger. That was all that she had been feeling lately ever since her many arguments with her uncle. The day she was about to head back to Hogwarts, Elijah didn't even see her to say goodbye, least of all apologise, he disappeared. Freya said that he had another business to attend to, but Orion knew he was probably with the girl that he brought home back from New Orleans, it was clear to her that Elijah would choose anything but her.

     She had been avoiding talking to Draco about what he had found on his–their–research about the curse her parents' put on her to suppress her Tribrid side, because for once, the moment Draco brought it up on his dinner table, that was the one time Orion was able to read him. Concern. It was all written up in his face before he once again pulled his nonchalant facade up. She knew whatever was going to come out of his mouth was not good, besides he already told her that it would be unlikely for anyone to reverse the curse.

     But then again, nothing was entirely impossible when it comes to magic. Just like what her Aunt Freya used to tell her magic always has a loophole and for once it scared the hell out of her. But right now, she could barely think about that, she chose not to by distracting herself with school projects, ballet training, even the DA–purely because Harry had set up a more frequent meeting than the last term.

     "So, do you have Valentine's date yet?" asked Cassiopeia the moment Orion was seated on the Slytherin table for dinner. All eyes on their side of the table were on her, waiting for her to answer her cousin.

    "Oh, for the love of God, I haven't even properly seated yet," the brunette huffed, patting her skirt before she looked up to them who were still waiting for her answer. "Merlin, it's not really any of your business, is it?" Orion chuckled, reaching out to the jug of coffee in front of her.

    "It kind of is my business," Cepheus murmured sternly without even looking to Orion who was nodding her head to Theo after he passed her the brown sugar.