Troubling Proposals

Start from the beginning

Hugo joined Varian on the front of the cart once he had gathered himself, and Quirin and Eugene checked the luggage was properly secured.
"You're good to go." Eugene patted a crate in the wagon then walked around to speak to Varian, "It feels like only yesterday we were last saying goodbye to you, kid."
Varian smiled and Hugo's head popped out from behind him,
"Did you still have all those wrinkles back then?" The blonde teased and Eugene glared.
"Hugo, you can't speak to the king like that." Varian looked back at Eugene, "You can barely notice the aging." Varian smiled in what he must have thought was a reassuring way but Hugo stifled a laugh and Eugene slapped his hands against the sides of his face in shock.
Rapunzel wrapped her arms around one of Eugene's and laughed softly, "They're just messing with you, Eugene. You look as handsome as the day I met you." Rapunzel nuzzled her nose against Eugene's and Hugo pretended to gag.
"Let's get going before I really am sick." He muttered to Varian and Ruddiger climbed onto the cart and into the blonde's lap.
"Ready for another trek across the kingdoms, buddy?" Varian asked the raccoon who chittered in return,
"Alright, this is it- are you sure we have everything we need?"
"Mm...I'm at least eighty percent sure."
"Good, that's- wh- that's not very reassuring."
Hugo leaned back and rested his head in his hands, "Just being honest, Stripes."
Varian rolled his eyes then turned his attention to everyone; his friends and family, "We'll be back before you know it."
"I'm sure you will." Rapunzel laughed, "We'll miss you both."
"We will?" Eugene asked and Hugo gasped.
"Come on, now, Your Highness." The blonde turned his attention to Varian, grinning, "Don't let him hurt your feelings, Varian."
"I wasn't-" Eugene sighed and Hugo flicked the reins, "We'll miss you, Varian. And if you wanna come back without Hugo that would be fine- appreciated, actually!" He called after the wagon and Rapunzel nudged him.
Varian waved at everyone until they disappeared over the horizon.

"I can't believe I'm leaving Corona again..." Varian expressed, leaning back in the seat and puffing out his cheeks.
"Believe it, Goggles, cause I bet this lost and forgotten Kingdom of Tonitrua is gonna be just as pleasant as the trials."
Varian sighed, "I know most people our age would probably love the prospect of dangerous adventuring but I think I'd rather be working in the lab."
Hugo chuckled, "How very you....So, what d'you think Tonitrua's like?"
"No idea..." Varian yawned, "Derelict and booby-trapped, probably."
"Yeah." Hugo laughed, "You should rest." He told the boy beside him.
"You sure?"
"Hundred percent."
Varian smiled and rested his head on Hugo's shoulder. The blonde blushed and placed a kiss on Varian's head.

By the time they had arrived in Vlamudia, it was late in the night. Hugo found a place for the cart then covered the luggage with a pinned down cloth. Once the boy had set up an amount of traps he was happy with, he moved to the front of the wagon again and looked upon a sleeping Varian. He smiled then let Olivia run down his arm and squeak in the other boy's ear.
Varian jolted up and fell out of the cart and onto the ground. He grunted and Hugo sniggered offering him a hand. Varian slapped the boy's hand away and stood up straight, adjusting his goggles and brushing off his waistcoat.
"You know a 'Varian, we're here' would've sufficed."
"Wow, it's like you want our relationship to lose its charm." Hugo kissed Varian's cheek then walked off towards the gates ahead of them.
Varian narrowed his eyes and let Ruddiger hop onto his shoulders before following Hugo.

"Whereabouts does the kid live?" Hugo asked Varian as they explored the kingdom.
"Somewhere that way." Varian pointed to their right.
"'Somewhere that way?'"
"It's been a while." Varian chuckled, "I'll know it when I see it."
And he did. When the two were passing a fair-sized house, Varian tugged on Hugo's arm and dragged him to the front door.
"It's gonna be great seeing Yong again." The dark-haired boy could barely contain his smile as he knocked loudly on the door.
"Tell me about it. I miss the random comments- and the dreams...oh, the dreams."
"I hope he hasn't grown up too much- you know what they say about kids." Varian said and the door opened.
Standing in the doorway while kids ran every-which-way behind her was a short black-haired woman.
The woman took a moment to examine the boy then nodded at him in recognition, "Varian. It's so good to see you again after all this time."
"Varian?" One of Yong's sisters popped her head out, looking Varian up and down, "Have you got a girlfriend yet?" She asked.
"Shan!" Yin looked back at her daughter.
"Uh...about that." Varian laughed nervously.
"Come in- have something to eat." Yin gestured them inside then disappeared into the chaos.
"About that, huh?" Hugo grinned and Varian nudged him.