“How about we go see a movie tomorrow night?”

“It’s a Sunday,” I deadpanned.

He seemed unfazed however. “So?”

“I like sleep.” He just chuckled in response.

“So what do you say?” He asked again. A smile twitched at the corner of my lip and I found myself staring at him. His blue eyes patiently waited for my response, but he aggressively pushed the blonde strand of hair out of his eye.

“Depends what movie,” I bargained.

“Anything you want.” He smiled and I realized he had a dimple on his left cheek.

“Perks of being a Wallflower?”

His eyes suddenly widened. “I loved that book!” he shouted while my jaw dropped open but I held my hand up for him to high five.

“Same!” We both looked at each other smiling like idiots before bursting out laughing.

“So why are you here?” he questioned once we both sobered up from our laughing fest. My eyes glanced at the time on my phone and I immediately winced. I’ve been here longer than I hoped.

“Shit. I gotta go. See you tomorrow.” I waved goodbye to him and began walking to the next isle for the cookies.

“Wait!” I slowed down – due to me being too nice – and waited for him to catch up. “Where should I pick you up?”

After I managed to get out of the grocery store and into my car, the rain had seized somewhat and all that was left was a little drizzle. That entire conversation with Robby kept replaying in my head. Why did he want to go with me to the movies, now, of all times? I’ve never spoken a word to him in my entire life and now he is suddenly my best friend? Something doesn’t add up.

And the strangest thing was that I wished this had happened with Oliver and I. Even weirder was that I had thought of Oliver of all people.

As soon as I opened the door to the house, I was trampled by a little boy. “Ellie! What took you so long?” Alex whined.

“The lines were so long,” I groaned picking him up and resting him on my hip.

“Can we make the cookies now?” he began playing with my braid again.

“Sure.” I bounced him on my hip which caused him to giggle.

Sunday night came faster than I had hoped. Who knew times flies by when you do homework?

“Where are you going?” Kyle asked leaning against my doorway.

I threw the towel that was wrapped around my hair into the hamper and faced him. “Out. So take care of your brother. Or are you going to make me go get Mrs. Marien?”

His eyebrow raised. “You’re going out? You of all people?”

“I go out,” I snapped which was a lie. I pretty much either worked or did homework.

He snorted and entered my room – without my permission – and plopped onto my bed. I decided not to comment on this since Robby told me he’d pick me up at 6:00 and it was 5:50. I had my pajamas folded on my bed just in case he decided not to come, but for some reason I couldn’t help but know he was going to come.

“Is this a date?” he teased.

“No,” I replied quickly blushing slightly. This was actually my first time ever going out with a boy, even just as friends.