1x04: Raising Hell

Alec was sitting on the bed in his and Melanie's room, with his head in hands. His back was facing the door, so he didn't notice, or hear, the blonde walk into the room as he thought too hard.

Melanie sighed, as she looked at her husband. She walked forward, kicking off her shoes as she climbed onto the bed behind the Lightwood man, wrapping her arms around his waist and leant her chin on his shoulder.

"Wanna tell me what's got your brain malfunctioning?" Melanie joked, causing Alec to smile. "I can practically see the cogs overheating and breaking as I sit here."

Alec chuckled lightly at his wife's words; she always knew how to cheer him up. However, the laugh didn't last for more than 3 seconds as the dark-haired Lightwood sighed.

"I'm just..." The boy trailed off, trying to find the right words. "I'm so tired of Jace thinking he runs us; thinking he's better than everyone and everything." Alec said, ranting slightly. "And, it just so happens that Valentine's daughter appears from nowhere, with her mother kidnapped by the man that killed both of your parents. You've only just returned from being held captive, and he expects everything to go back to the way it was."

Melanie listened to her husband release everything that was pent up inside of him, just placing light kisses on his shoulder, cheek and temple as he did so. It was the little things that gave him comfort, knowing that she was there.

It was what made him so devastated when he woke up the day after Melanie had disappeared, not feeling that comfort that he needed. He thought it was all a dream.

"Baby, listen to me." Melanie began, as she moved so she was sitting beside him and he was facing her. "Jace is better than no one, especially not to you. But, you are not better than him or anyone. You're Parabatai, you're one another's equal in life. You're are not in his shadow, so stop thinking like that." She said, running her fingers through his hair. "And, don't worry, I don't trust Clary, not one bit either. You're not on your own."

Alec just turned around and buried his head into Melanie's stomach. He wrapped his arms around her waist, as she smiled brightly whilst she continued to rub is scalp soothingly. 

"I really missed you." He muttered, the sound muffled by his wife's stomach. "I never stopped looking for you. All day, every day I looked; I barely slept, I barely ate, I barely spoke. I just needed you. I was so close to asking Magnus to try to track you once more."

Melanie sighed. "I'm sorry."

Alec lifted his head from her stomach to look at her. She could see some silent tears flowing down his cheeks. Sitting up, quickly, she pulled him closer to her before he placed her warm hands on his cheeks, using her thumb to wipe away the tears that had fallen.

"Hey, don't cry." She said, softly.

"I should have fought harder." She said. "I shouldn't have been captured in the first place but I was distracted and knocked out from behind. I would have fought harder if I wasn't ambushed by over 20 men."

"It's okay, you're here now with me."

The two embraced one another before Melanie pulled back and smiled at her husband. She chuckled lightly, making the man frown confused. Pinching the skin on his forehead, she smiled widely.

"You have to stop worrying so much." She said. "You'll get wrinkles." He just sighed, and gave her a look that made her laugh. "It'll all be okay."

"Have I ever told you how much I love you?"

Melanie smirked at his words. "Everyday since the day you asked me out."

The two leaned into one another, allowing their lips to meet one another in the middle.