Fourth of July

July 4th, 1962

Today is the fourth and let me tell you, everything is so hectic. Everyone is either trying to get food ready, set up the seats and tables, or getting the fireworks prepared for later. Mom is currently cooking everything we own and Benny's mom is apparently doing the same. Once they get done cooking all the actual food they're going to cook the desert together since it's for so many people

All the boys are excited and won't shut up about the fireworks and how it makes it seem like we're professionals playing at an actual stadium. Timmy and Tommy are supposed to be coming back before we eat but I don't know when they'll be here.

"The Timmons are here!" Nevermind

"Okay." I walk out of the house with Scotty and down the street to their house. They get out of the car and run over to us.

"We got you guys candy but I got you a stuffed animal." Tommy says and hands me a bag.

"Thank you Tommy, did you have fun?"

"Yeah, it was so fun. There were so many girls and so many baseballs in this one store."

"I'm glad, you guys look burnt."

"Oh yeah, Tommy got it bad on his back but my face hurts so bad."

"I would say it does."

The rest of the boys come walking behind us and give Tommy and Timmy hugs and then they get their gifts. Benny stands behind me and wraps his hands around my stomach. We stand and talk for a while and then they see his hand placement.

"Is there something we need to know?"

"Yeah, is there something we need to know?" Tommy repeats and the rest of the boys laugh.

"No, not really."

"Are you sure?" Timmy quirks an eyebrow and I can't help but laugh.

"I'm positive, we're not dating yet."

"Yet?" Benny says and I look at him confused going along with it.

"We're not dating and we won't be."

"What? I was joking, I don't think you understood what I was implying."

"Oh dear lord, you are an idiot." I smack my forehead and he looks at me confused "we're not dating."

"Okay well, we need to unpack our stuff and then we can hangout in my room."

"Okay."

We each walk to our houses and I start helping mom with the cooking. While I'm mixing up some kind of salsa together Scotty comes running into the house again and stops when he gets to the kitchen table and then walks into the kitchen. He whispers something to mom and she screams and comes running into the dining room where I am.

"Have you heard the news?"

"What news?"

"They made a huge cake for tonight."

"Okay?"

"Me and Benny's mom made a cake, we have half of it made and it's huge."

"I can eat it, me and Scotty and the boys will
snack on it."

"Good lord, what am I going to do? I wasted so much money on that stupid stuff."

"Mom."

"I spent almost all of my pay check on all of the cake stuff!"

"Mom."

"What if we have to eat it all week for dinner? We're going to get cavities!"

"Mom! Calm down would you?"