15-A Party With An Ex

Start from the beginning

"Ow!" I said. "Geez dude. You got some hard-" I stopped when I looked up and saw that it was Rori. His face looked so friendly and familiar. It caused me to ache with want. But then bad memories came back and the want was mixed with pain.

He gave me a light smile. "Hey." He said. His voice was small, but it still made me shiver.

I opened my mouth to speak, but I couldn’t find any words. What could I even say to him? I closed it and walked around him. I didn’t need to speak to him. He didn’t deserve any of my attention.

"Ben wait!" He called.

I quickened my pace. I didn’t look back but I felt him on me. I ran up the stairs and to my room, locking it quickly behind. I slumped against the door and felt a small tear escape my eye as I slid down into a sitting position.

His heavy breathing caught my attention from behind the door. "Ben..." He said. "I'm going to wait out here until you open the door."

I didn’t speak.

"Ben, please." He said. I closed my eyes and tried to block out his voice, but I couldn’t. All I wanted to do was hear it.

I stood up and walked to my dresser where my headphones and phone were. I plugged them in and put the buds in my ear. I looked under the door again too see if his toes still showed from under it. I sat back up when I realized they did.

"I hope your not here when James gets back Rori, for your own good."

He slid down against the other side of the door. "I'll be here until the end of time if I need to."

I huffed, feeling the beat of my heart quicken. I played a song from my phone and laid my body against the floor. Slowly I closed my eyes feeling the affects of my lack of sleep take over me, and I succumbed to the darkness.

"Benedict Harrian Kingo!" The voice was louder than an announcer's and scarier than the pits of tartarus themselves.

I shot up from my nap on the floor and quickly rose to my feet. I opened my room door and looked up to see my mom's disappointed face.

I scratched the back of my head nervously. "Hey ma'." I said. "How was your trip?"

She shook her head at me. "You trashed the house and the pool?! And I found beer everywhere and condoms in the bathroom. Explain yourself mister."

I gave her an apologetic smile. "You see, a truck was carrying cups of beer and condoms, and sort of drove through the backyard to the bathroom and fucked everything up."

"Language." James said as he strode up to the door. "It's fine May. He's a teenager, he'll mess up sometimes." Why was he protecting me? "I'll deal with him, just give me a few minutes." My mom nodded and gave him a kiss and walked away.

I scoffed. "Ugh. Why do you guys have to be so gross around me?"

He smiled. "May I ask why Rori was asleep outside of your bedroom door?" He said.

I rolled my eyes. "He's full of shit, that's why." I said. "Just kick him out, he'll be fine."

"I would, but there are other factors I've found that weaken my strength to."

I stared at him inquisitively. "What are you talking about?" I asked.

"Have you spoken to him since that night?" He asked.

"No, and I don't intend to." I said.

He raised his eyebrow. "How do you expect to seek a resolve without talking to him?"

"I broke it off with him, that's my resolve." I said. "And isn’t this supposed to make you happy? I thought you hated him."

"I never hated him. I disliked his ways." He said. "Anyway, there's tea downstairs if you want some. I'll tell him to leave if that's what you really want."

I nodded. He gave me a smile and then left.

I decided to take the offer of the tea up after spending three extra hours of sleeping in my comfortable bed. I went downstairs and grabbed a cup, warmed it up, then sat in the living room watching the embers of the fire fly up as it burned in the fireplace. I sipped slowly on the hot beverage as I thought. My fingers were gripped around my small flip phone.

Should I text Rori. Maybe James had been hinting that I needed to talk to him. No, I was stronger than that. I was just trying to find an excuse to speak to him.

My phone rung and I immediately placed my cup down and flipped it open, putting it to my ear. "Hello?" I asked.

"Ben." The voice made me frown.

"What do you want Max, and how on earth did you get this number?"

He chuckled. "I've got ways." That creeped me out. "I heard about you and Rori. It's a shame. You two were such a fine couple."

I rolled my eyes. "Thanks for your condolences, but I don’t really need them."

"Look, I just wanted to ask if maybe you wanted to go to lunch sometime, you know as a date?"

I couldn’t help but laugh in my head. After our first encounter, I wouldn’t even bother standing next to him. "Bye Max." I said. I hung up.

A moment later the phone rung again. Ugh! Why is this guy so persistent? "Max! I said I don't have-"

"It's not Max." Rori said through the phone.

I froze. Shit.

"O-Oh." I said.

"What are you doing talking to Max?" He sounded agitated.

"Is it really any of your business?"

He huffed. "Ben, stay away from him. He's no good."

"Well at least he doesn’t fuck girls when he's dating someone."

"Ben, it was one time, one mistake, and he's done a lot worse to the people he dates."

"Oh, so what you did really wasn’t all that bad right?" I said. "Let me just put that in my file of bullshit."

"I didn’t call you to fight." He said. "I-I miss you, and I-" he paused for a bit. "I'd do anything for you Ben. I need you back."

I didn’t respond. This was the longest conversation we had since that night, and it felt great even though it wasn’t that great of a conversation to have.

"Answer me Ben..." Rori said with a soft voice. He sounded so broken, it made me mad. He wasn’t the one who got betrayed, so why was he acting like the victim?

"You hurt me Rori, remember?" I said. "You made me think you liked me! Then you cheated on me, and I had to find out the night I let you do things to me. And you want to know what the worst part of it all is? I still freaking want you, bad, but I wont submit, so you can go find someone else to screw over! We're done!"

"Ben-" I hung up. I started to feel my eyes prickle and I laid my body against the couch. I then closed my eyes and let the coming tears flow down my face.