one

as a trail of snot dropped down from his nose , the most chifuyu could do was sniffling it back up and wiped his nose with his sleeve

as a trail of snot dropped down from his nose , the most chifuyu could do was sniffling it back up and wiped his nose with his sleeve . the winter air brushed back his pink cheeks , threatening to freeze the tears on his face . it didn ' t help either that his throat was now horribly sore from having yelled for peke over and over again .

although it was common that peke would often try and run off one chifuyu returned home , perhaps tonight was the time he feared he may never see his companion ever again . not to mention , it felt like he too was lost . his mother was probably feeling the same as he did , frantically searching for her 7 year old boy who had suddenly run off after his cat . but the streets of tokyo felt repetitive and endless with no place feeling familiar .

pulling the puffed jacket around him tighter , chifuyu ignored the coldness from his nose and instead took another deep breath before yelling out a loud , " PEKE ! " in attempt to call back the cat towards him . but it was no use , the only purpose being that it strained his already aching vocal chord even further .

by now , the pure exhaustion was starting to take over . the time of the search began once peke had ran out from the apartment once the door was open , a sign that chifuyu had been picked up from school by his mother , and was now returning home . however , once peke had ran off , the boy had basically abandoned his things to run after him . and although he was not sure how long he had been searching for now , the rumbling from his stomach seemed to say that it was time for dinner .

after a bit more of some endless walking , chifuyu ' s knees finally gave out upon finding a small play structure , where he collapsed near the swing set , the soles of his feet stinging from the sensation of relief . upon releasing small puffs of breath , they became visible in the form of small white clouds in front of his face .

for a moment , his upper eyelids felt heavy , occasionally making contact with his lower lids , and sometimes staying on their for longer than expected . however , when they finally opened up after being closed for far too long , they were met with another pair of twinkling eyes staring back into them .

" huh — ah ! " the proximity of his face with the other ' s surprised him such that the balance he had while eating against the pole of the swing set had been lost , causing him to stumbled back wards . although it was the eyes that he first took notice of , chifuyu ' s blurred vision slowly seemed to take notice of the face sculpted around them . judging by looks , it was estimated that they were probably around his age , give or take a year . the cold seemed to have had a similar effect on their skin as well , judging by the ashy appearance due to the moisture being stripped away . even so , it left their cheeks looking smooth . the lower part of their face seemed covered in a thick scarf , one that was clearly too large . bits of hair strands seemed to fall and frame around their face , but still leaving enough space for their eyes to poke through .

before chifuyu could even make a sound , a soft meowing seemed to emerge instead , causing him to look down to see a sleek black cat coming from behind the other kid , now pawing at his sleeve .