Chapter 1

𝐄𝐱𝐨𝐝𝐮𝐬 4:10
"𝐌𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐬  𝐬𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐎𝐑𝐃..... 𝐈 𝐚𝐦 𝐬𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐞𝐜𝐡 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐠𝐞."

JANISON CHAMBERS

Her car drove into the organization's premises to join the other fleet of cars in the parking lot. Having found a parking space, she turned off the ignition and began to pack her things from the back seat before opening the car door.

For some reasons her hands shook, and terribly too as she struggled to lock her car  while unwilling to put down the things in her hands. Anyone who saw her knew she was a jumbled mess. She sighed as somethings dropped from her hands to the floor, but, she was able to lock her car after several failed attempts. She bent to pick up the things that had fallen and continued her stressful journey into the building.

She pushed through the rather rigid glass door into the organization. It was a large one and very busy too at 6:40 in the morning. She could already hear the clicking and booming of shoes against the brown and black tiled floor, mixed with the repeated chiming  that came from the elevators which she couldn't wait to board so she could dump all that was in her hands. But first, she had to sign in.

With her work things guarded against her chest she walked, or, rather, hopped to the receptionist's table.

"E-e-e excuse me." She bit her lip immediately she was done forming the statement.

"Yes!" The receptionist, a slender looking light complexioned lady who looked like she was going to swallow her at any moment answered her. She had a frown on her face and sounded rather irritated. She waited impatiently for an answer.

"C-c-can I drop my things and come back to sign later ?"

Her head bulged out a little, her frown refusing to leave her face. "Suit yourself."  She almost hissed.

Bola turned and began to make her way towards an elevator that will take her to her office. She wasn't  in the least surprised. She had been nice to her the first few months she had started working in Janison Chambers. But then, she discovered who she really was, the reticent and terribly shy Bola, and that was the beginning of it all.

Giving her the cold shoulder and snapping at her for no reason. She was sure that if not for heirchy she could have done worse than her colleagues would.

She stepped out of the elevator and walked through the bubbly corridor. Work had started in earnest, soon, clients would fill the corridor in order to file one complaint or another.

She couldn't wait to get to her office and dump her work things on her table. She soon got closer to her office. As she pushed it open she heard laughter and the voice of her arch nemesis, Rosaline.

".... She won't know what hit her." She pushed through her office's rigid door and walked in saying, or rather whispering a 'good morning' to everyone. Everywhere went silent. Some eyes were on her as she made way to her table and dumped her things on it.

A plastic bag containing files that she had worked on during the weekend came first, her laptop followed second,  another plastic bag containing other files joined the others on the table. She began to arrange them silently. By now the eyes on her had turned their attention to something else, but one persisted.

"Come sef Bola, What's up ?" She began to walk towards her.

"Oh no, not today," Bola said to herself after a mental sigh. She needed no soothsayer to tell her it was Rosaline, her arch nemesis, the most prettiest lady amongst them. She was tall, the stiletoes she was wearing was a plus to her average height. She could fit for a model and Bola had thought she was too good to be true. unlike everyone who at least hid whatever they thought about her and maybe pretended to be nice, Rosaline never hid the fact that she hated her. Not  from her or from anyone. She picked on her a lot and was one of the reasons why she hated every work day. The former being the fact that she loathed her job but had to keep at it because her parents thought highly of her because of it.

Rosaline continued. "So, you just walked in, offered a greeting, and you think everyone heard you ?" She was close now. "As in,you expect us," she demonsrated" 'us' with her hands. "to accept that trash you call greeting?"

By now, Bola was done arranging her table  and was standing in front of Rosaline. Her eyes dropped to the floor as she listened and waited for her to finish with her talk so she could go sign in, although she hoped it was soon.

"Well, good morning to you too, Miss 'I'm too good for everybody else.' she said, placing the previous sentence in air quotes. "Jeez! Are you even a human being ?" She sized Bola up from head to toe.

Bola said nothing.

Groaning in exasperation, she began again. "And there she goes again, the girl that never talks." She rolled her eyes. Are you deaf or dumb ?" She demonstrated with her hands."Which one ?"

"Can't you just leave her alone ?" A colleague who was already tired of  everything finally spoke, banging one of his fists on his table, a slight frown on his face.

"Hey! Mr.!" Rosaline held  her hand in the air to shut him up. "Mind your business, I am not talking to you." She turned back to Bola.

"Even so! This is an office Rosa, it is an ethic not to bully any colleague. If you have anything against her, you can take it out of here please. He then turned to Bola who still seemed to find the floor interesting. "Bola, defend yourself na." But her eyes still remained glued to the floor.

"See?" Rosaline continued. "She's 'such a weakling, soo helpless."

And the tears threathened to fall, but, she shut her eyes tightly to keep them away.

"Look here girl, you don't belong here. This office.."she swerved her hand around to emphsize her point. "Its glamour, and the honour that comes with it," she paused as if to let her words sink in,"doesn't fit you.You would do better a waitress. You are just a helpless, hopeless chicken."

Seeing that her words have had the effect she wanted, she walked back to her seat, a loud hiss following her.

For a while, Bola stood there and, unconciously, she moved out of the tense room, trying her best to keep back the tears. She hadn't signed in. She had to sign in. She marched into the elevator  and pressed the button to the last floor.

𝑨.𝑵. So guys! Hii! I would like to introduce you to.my new book, "She is shy".  I know, I know, its a predictable title, a straight foward statement.  But I do hope you enjoy it.

.                                                                                
Votes and comments please.