Chapter 23: Battle of Hornburg

Start from the beginning

It was by nightfall when they finally reached the stronghold of Rohan. At Helm's Gate, before the mouth of the Deep, there was a heel of rock thrust outward by the northern cliff. There, upon its spur stood high walls of ancient stone, and within them was a lofty tower. Men said that in the far-off days of the glory of Gondor the sea-kings had built here this fastness with the hands of giants. The Hornburg it was called, for a trumpet sounded upon the tower echoed in the Deep behind as if armies long-forgotten were issuing to war from caves beneath the hills. 

A wall, too, the men of old had made from the Hornburg to the southern cliff, barring the entrance to the gorge. Beneath it by a wide culvert, the Deeping-stream passed out.

They found many men, armed and ready at the deep who were so happy to see their king. Turns out that they Gandalf had sent so many scattered and leaderless group of soldiers to the deep. Many have seen an old man in white upon a horse, passing hither and thither over the plains like the wind in the grass.

Theoden, Eomer and their men began to walk around the wall and positioning their soldiers with Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas by their side. Nestarel had gone to help Eowyn to lead women and children into the deep caves behind the tower. Every man and young boy has been summoned to fight.

"Nestarel! Nesta!" Nestarel turned around and saw Legolas calling and opening his way towards her. His tall frame towering over the sea of people running around.

"Legolas!" said Nestarel as he reached her and take her to a more secluded area. 

"They are almost here. You should go to the cave. Stay there and don't do anything stupid." ordered Legolas rapidly.

"I won't go to the caves with women." she said and Legolas' face hardened. He opened his mouth to protest but she raised a hand and cut him. "I won't come to fight eighter," she said and Legolas frowned. "I have heard of caves near the wall that the healers and physician will be staying at. I will be there tending to the wounded."

Legolas stared at her determined face and sighed deeply. He pulled her to a tight hug and kissed her temple several times. He then pulled away and put his hands on both sides of her face while staring intently at her eyes. "Stay alive, okay?" he pleaded. "Don't forget your promise."

"You too." whispered Nestarel before Legolas smashed his lips on hers and kissing her like there was no tomorrow, not caring if there were people watching them. Nestarel kissed his back with the same passion and need. The kiss was like sealing a promise. Their lips moved in sync while their hands were tangled in each others hair, pulling each other closer.

Finally, someone cleared their throat and they pulled away breathlessly. Their heads whipped toward the sound and they saw Gimli standing there, leaning on his axe smirking. Nestarel blushed deeply and hide her face in Legolas' chest with his arms securely around her waist. 

"Alright, love birds." sneered Gimli. "Time to say goodbye. I and the big oaf should join Aragorn now."

Nestarel looked at Legolas. Her worried eyes filled with tears. "Please come stay alive." she whispered. She felt like her heart was exploding from too much worry and pain. Legolas nodded and pecked her lips one more time before reluctantly releasing her and walk toward Gimli.

"Don't be worry, lassie." said Gimli. "I will take care of him."

Nestarel nodded. "Be careful. All three of you. My blessing goes with you." she said aloud as Legolas and Gimli rushed to join the others.

Soon Nestarel was inside the cave where was going to be used as a healing room. It was a big cave. Giant pillars were going to the unseen roof of the cave which was hidden in the shadows making it like a big hall. In contrary with the mine of Moria, fresh air was flowing. Pools of water were adding to its beauty. Circular waves were appearing on their surface as iron feet Orcs of Isengard made the ground shake as they marched forward. They have lit a part of the cave with torches as much as they could and store so many supplies there.