chapter four

"hi august, i'm your new mom!" lexie talked to the small golden doodle that sat by her feet.

lexie clipped the small leash onto the dogs collars and started out of the door. after a couple minutes of walking lexie decided to hold august instead, she picked the little ball of fur up and held him in the crook of her arm as they continued their walk home.

"okay auggie, we're heading to your new home! i already got a couple things for you but i'll have to run out and get some food later." august licked lexie's hand in response.

a bit later and the pair had made their way into lexie's apartment, "this is our home auggie."

the golden doodle started running laps around the small flat one he had been let off the leash.

auggie had gotten tired fast and had settled for laying on lexie. "do you wanna go meet harry?" she whispered as the puppy fluttered their eyes open.

lexie picked up auggie and cradled him as she started for harry's flat. she gave a couple small knocks before the door was pulled open by harry.

"oh hey lex," he grinned before his eyes travelled to the small dog in her arms, "oh hello there buddy."

lexie walked in as harry moved aside, "this is august but he likes to be called auggie as well. he's a mini golden doodle."

"he's adorable."

the girl grinned while setting the small puppy on the floor. auggie started to run circles around both harry and lexie out of excitement.

"auggie! why won't you stop eating harry's couch!" lexie scolded while pulling the puppy onto her lap.

"do you have any toys for him to play with? that might help." harry suggested.

lexie shook her head, "nope, not yet. i was thinking of going and getting some tomorrow."

"i can run out and grab one right now? it'll only take a couple minutes."

"are you sure?" lexie questioned, "i can go instead, if you'd like."

harry waved her off while standing, "don't worry, i'll be back in ten."

-

"i think auggie is exhausted." harry laughed as him and lexie looked towards the sleeping puppy that was laying on the rug.

harry and lexie had settled for laying on the couch together, her head leaning against his. "i think so too."

they were quiet for a couple minutes, just the shallow noises of their breathing could be heard until harry spoke again.

"have you ever been in love?"

lexie stayed calm, and thought for a minute. "i don't think so. have you?"

harry's eyes met hers, "once, a long time ago."

lexie stared at him for a minute, wanting to know more, but not daring to ask. harry sensed this, "do you want me to describe it to you?"

she nodded wordlessly, "it's like that feeling you get when you're at home, like after a long day and you walk through the door and relief floods your body. i always though home was four walls and a roof, but it's not."

"do you still love her?"

"i think i'll always love her." harry admitted.

"i'm sorry." lexie sighed.

"why are you sorry?"

"i shouldn't have asked."

"don't be silly, i was the one who asked if you wanted to know."

lexie's eyes wandered the room, she started to read the writing on the plaques that hung on the walls.

"does that say- does that say quidditch?"

harry sat up and awkwardly scratched the back of his neck, "erm- it's a game my old school made up."

"oh, that's fun." she paused, "i think i should head back to my flat, i told my mum i would call her tonight."

"right," harry nodded, "i'll walk you back."

"auggie," lexie started whole picking up the puppy, "it's time to head home."

"i'll see you later," harry started once they made it back to lexie's flat, "call me?"

lexie nodded once she had pulled open the door and let auggie into the flat before leaning on the doorway, "of course."

harry cupped lexie's cheeks with his hands and met her lips with his. this was different from their first kiss, they were both savoring every last second.

"okay, goodbye harry." lexie mumbled with tainted cheeks once he had pulled away.

"bye lex." he smiled before turning away and heading to his flat.

lexie shut the door, still grinning, before walking over to the couch and plopping down while dialing her mum's number.

"lexie! hi sweetie, i was wondering when i would hear from you." the woman started through the phone.

"hi mum! sorry i got tied up." lexje chuckled.

"oh really?" amelia teased, "was it with a boy? or a girl?"

"erm actually- yea. i met this guy, he's amazing."

"what's his name?"

lexie smiled at the thought of him while petting auggie absentmindedly, "harry, harry potter."

lexie heard her mum make a sharp intake of breath, "mum? you alright?"

"yea- there's a spider next to me, i'll take it out later. anyway, go on, how did you meet him?"

"the day after i moved here i went to this one cafe, and he was sitting by himself, so i went and joined him. i ended up giving him my number, but a day later i found out he lives in the same flat building as me."

amelia held a hand to her chest, "that's amazing sweetie."

"we've been on two dates," lexie admitted happily, "anyway, are you ever going to come visit? you could move here!"

"i already told you lex, i'm not sure how that would work with my job being here. i'll think about it some more, but i would love to visit one week!"

"also, i seem to have gotten a dog." lexie admitted quietly.

"you- you what?"

"got a dog."

"you can barely take care of yourself!"

"i take care of myself just fine! and by the way, auggie loves me!"

"i'm sure he does, be careful darling, dogs are hard to take care of."

"okay, okay. well i should be heading to bed anyway, i'll talk to you later."

"okay, bye lexie darling."

"bye mum!" with a small beep, lexie turned off the phone and started for her room, auggie still cradled in her arms.