22: Honesty Is The Best Policy

Start from the beginning

And now he was abandoned in a burning forest with his friend passed out and probably concussed. She was alive. Miki kept checking. He couldn't let someone, anyone die while he was there. 

But at this rate they were both going to die. 

So yeah, he was crying. It was hot. Not the comforting warmth of his family or their apartment. Just scorching heat that made him sweat and gasp for breath while his lungs filled with smoke. 

Choosing to follow the same path Uraraka and Asui had taken he pulled Toga onto his shoulders and set off. 

Miki only got about 6 meters away before the weight became unbearable and his legs gave out from under him. He was back to being a normal weight, but it was obvious from how thin he was that the muscle was going to take longer to build up.   

Panting, he wiped his eyes with the sleeve of his filthy shirt and took a few deep breaths. His left ankle throbbed, meaning he had almost definitely twisted it in the fall, but he didn't have time to care. He pulled Toga back onto his back and took several more deep breaths 

Cautiously, he set of down the path, pace much slower this time. Like this he had no chance of outrunning the flames, but he'd have to try. 

Toga didn't deserve to die just because she had gotten herself mixed up with him, or the league or anyone. 

------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------- ------ 

Hizashi launched into action at the sight of the girls. "Are you two alright?" He asked, looking at their cuts and bruises. 

"We were attacked, but Tsu managed to nail em' in the back of the head and save us." Uraraka said, small smile on her face. Shota relaxed a little, knowing that his students could defend themselves. 

Asui clutched the hem of her shirt so hard her knuckles were white. "We shouldn't have left him there." She said, looking to Uraraka. 

"Oh little listener, you don't have to save the villain. He got what was coming to him." Mic assured the two, "Whatever happens to the guy that attacked you doesn't matter now.". 

The knife in Asui's chest twisted. She had to tell him. Mr. Yamada needed to know that it wasn't a villain they abandoned out there, but his son. Asui realized then and there that she should have taken the initiative. She should have realized what was going on before she incapacitated the villain and she definitely shouldn't have let herself get dragged all the way out there without him. 

"Tsu, you don't have to tell them. You heard what Present Mic said, he got what was coming to him." Uraraka said, her voice low but commanding. Hizashi's brow furrowed making it obvious to Tsuyu that he had heard what her friend said. 

"I do." She mumbled as her usually passive expression faltered. "We left the villain there. I don't really feel bad for that but....". 

"But?" Mr. Yamada prompted, eyes sympathetic. 

"But the villain was a girl. The he we left out there was Miki.". 

There was a beat of silence before Uraraka pinched Asui's arm, making her cry out in surprise at her friends behavior. 

"You didn't have to tell them!" Uraraka said. She was angry, they could all tell. "He helped that villain! He's basically a villain himself! How are you all so quick to forget that?!". 

Shota stood there in silent shock for a moment. This couldn't real. A student he taught? That he forgave himself after she apologized and Miki accepted it. A student who seemed so eager to move on. 

The thought played over and over in his mind. This couldn't be real. This couldn't be real. This couldn't be real.

----------------------------------------------------------

Alrighty folks, who's ready to hear about my daily stress? No on? Just me? Okay. So school fucking sucks, we all know that, but why do teachers have no respect for me or my time? They keep assigning so many things that we have no choice but to do them when we're supposed to be focusing on a different set of classes. 

They all think they're the most important thing in their student's lives and I'm getting really sick of it. Like, do I have a life? No. But I might be able to get one if they'd stop assigning so much work. 

But besides that, this arc is taking so long to put in order. Like the chapters are hundreds of words more than they usually are, and we still haven't gotten to some critical scenes.

Stay with me and stay tuned! I promise this will clear up eventually! 

(Side note, this was the fastest chapter I've ever written. Like I sat down just about 50 minutes ago and this stuff just flowed out. What drugs were in my coffee this morning? Like seriously this stuff usually takes ages)