Ch. 2 - Great Power

Peter slowly opened his eyes, gradually taking in the bright sunlight shining through his window as his alarm rang in his ears, his eyes focusing on the small Wednesday icon on the clock's display. He groaned as he sat up, rubbing his eyes and looking around his room with a confused expression. Planting his feet on the floor and carelessly shoving his blankets to the end of the bed, he lumbered over to the window, stretching as the sounds of car horns echoed up from below. After a moment of admiring the city, he made his way back over to his drawers, only then realizing that he was still in the previous day's clothes. The memories slowly began to return as he grabbed an armful of clothes off the floor, dumping them all in his laundry bin and scratching the back of his neck.

That's right, we had the Oscorp field trip yesterday, and then the whole situation with the spider... He remembered, running his fingers over the small bump where something had bit him.

"Wait, what if..." he murmured, remembering the red and blue blur disappearing into the crowd, along with a vague picture of the missing spider, which had had a blue and red pattern on it.

No, it couldn't be...could it? He wondered, dropping the rest of his clothes in the laundry bin before making his way over to the bathroom. Stepping up to the sink, he paused before picking up his comb, squinting at the mirror in confusion as he noticed something missing from his reflection. His eyebrows shot up as he checked his pockets, not finding his glasses anywhere as he rubbed his eyes again, confirming that he wasn't seeing things.

"I...I can see. Oh my gosh, I can see!" He exclaimed, doing a little victory dance as he punched a fist into the air. Still grinning as he grabbed his comb from the side of the sink, he quickly tamed his messy hair before he ran into a new problem. Holding his hand up, he tried to pry the comb off his palm, but this didn't work as he barely managed to unstick his other hand from it.

"What...?" He mumbled as he carefully examined the comb, not finding any sort of sticky substance on its surface that could be gluing it to his open palm. Nothing seemed to be on his hands either as he looked around for something to pry it off with, but his phone distracted him from his thoughts as it started playing its Star Wars ringtone from his backpack. Hurrying over, Peter nabbed it from the side pocket, quickly sliding the answer button across the screen as he held it up to his ear.

"Hello?" He asked, and a relieved sigh came from the other end.

"Oh, there you are Peter. I haven't been able to get ahold of a you for the past half hour." Came the voice of his principal, Mr.Tarmali.

"Is everything alright?" Peter asked, glaring at the comb still stuck to his hand as he took a seat on his bed.

"Peter...school's over. I called you as soon as the final bell rang, but you didn't pick up at first." The man replied after a moment.

"What! I missed school!" Peter cried, shooting up from his bed to pace around the room.

"Yes, but I made sure to send any homework for tomorrow home with one of your friends." Mr. Tarmali explained, and Peter relaxed a little, taking a seat on his bed again.

"Oh, ok. Who did you give it too?" He asked, and the sound of shuffling papers came from the other end as Peter waited.

"Umm, oh--here it is. I sent it with a girl named Gwen." The adult replied, and Peter cringed.

"Gwen Stacy?" He asked, tucking the phone in his shoulder as he tried pulling the comb off again.

"Yup, that's the one. Good luck Pete, and I'll see you tomorrow?" The principal asked as Peter's attempt failed once again.

"Oh, yeah, of course. Bye." He replied with a sigh.

"Oh, and Peter? You might want to turn off your alarm clock." The man added before ending the call.