.chapter 1.

I was sitting on the front steps of El Capitan waiting for my parents to come pick me up. We had lived in San Diego for only three weeks, and most of the time we'd been here, we had spent it unpacking and getting situated in our new house.

I hadn't had much experience with the city, and my parents didn't quite trust me enough to walk home on my own. Also, even though I'm a senior, And had passed my drivers test with flying colors, I still hadn't gotten around to getting a car just yet.

My parents would be picking me up together today though, as they had a 'couples cooking class' earlier today, and thought it would be a good thing to pick up their hopeless emo daughter from this hell called 'High School'.

For the most part, school had lived up to its nickname.

Except for one class.

It was my fourth period class. It was honors creative writing. With miss Hattersley. Miss Jessica Hattersley. Sound familiar? She's Jaime Preciado's girlfriend, y'know, Jaime Preciado of Pierce The Veil. Anyways, her class is awesome, I live creative writing.

I've been writing small stories since I learned to read and write. We always had really great prompts in that class, writing a short story about a mental illnesses, writing poems about good and bad things in life, the class had it all.

Now I had been waiting for two and a half hours for my parents to surface. I was starting to get suspicious.

Most of the time I had spent busying myself with iPhone games and social media. Checking if the new PTV album had released yet (shocker- it had not). Listening to Sleeping With Sirens's new album Madness.

By the time I had finished with my web-space exploration, my phone's battery was at 12%. But yet, I hadn't yet received one text from my parents. Had they forgotten about me? Did they end up doing the do? Ugh, I don't want to think about that, they're my parents for gods sake!

Just as I was about to send a message to my moms to remind them of my existence, I heard the clicking of heels behind me, and felt a soft hand press into my shoulder.

"Hey, you need a ride home?" Miss Hattersley asked, "It's getting quite late, and you should be home by now."

"Nah, it's fine, Miss H, I'm sure that my moms would pick me up, but would you mind waiting with me until they arrive?" I ask

"Sure, I don't mind at all, anything for my favorite student!" Miss H exclaimed, "But remember what I said when we talked on Monday, call me by my first name, I'm sure you're used to it."

And boy, did I remember what happened on Monday

~flashback 2 1/2 weeks~

"Okay" I said to myself, while reading from my schedule and navigating the confusing halls of my new school at the same time, "next class, Creative Writing with Miss Hattersley. Huh, sounds familiar."

As I walked into my fourth period class, I was up for a huge shock.

Standing at the front of the classroom, right next to her desk, was one of my idols. I knew that she was a teacher, and often dreamed of her being one of mine, but I never knew that my dreams could come true.

There she was, in all her glory, Miss Jessica Rose Hattersley. Sound familiar? Well, she's Jaime Preciado, bassist of Pierce The Veil, 's girlfriend.

But that's only lightly significant.

The more significant part was that I was wearing my favorite band shirt. Which just happened to be a Collide With The Sky shirt. And I could tell that she had seen it, I saw her eyes light up as they landed on me.

I saw her smirk when she saw the water color design on my shirt.

~present~

At the end of that class, Miss H, as she'd instructed us to call her, asked me to stay behind.

We ended up talking about PTV's music, and the shows that we'd been to, she said that she had no clue when the new album was being released. At one point, she'd also said that she could arrange a time when I could meet the childish Mexicans themselves, but I'd kindly declined, saying that I was happy with waiting in a line for a meet and greet, rather than some sort of special treatment.

Apparently I was the only kid that she saw wearing a PTV shirt, I guess it's not a cool thing to wear your favorite band tee on the first day of school.

-

*i breathe you in with smoke in the backyard ligh-*

"Yes hello, Carina Fernandez speaking" I spoke into my phone without checking the caller ID "who's calling?"

"Hello, this Missionary Hospital, we're calling on the behalf of Susana and Jillian Fernandez," the person knows the on the other line said "It seems that they have been in a fatal car crash with a drunk driver. Would you like to come say your goodbyes?"

"No, no this cannot be happening, tell me that this is not happening, I lost my biological parents when I four, I CANNOT LOSE ANOTHER SET OF GOD DAMN PARENTS!" By the end of my sentence I had lost all of my shit. I refuse to believe that my parents were gone. They had gone through som much to take care of me, we had moved to California just so that they could get married, they only had two weeks of being Mrs and Mrs Fernandez, this cannot be happening. Miss H saw my distress and took my shaking frame into her arms, rubbing small circles into my shoulder.

"I'm very sorry miss, but this has happened, I'm very sorry for your loss." The dispatch attendant said

"All right, I'll come down to see them as soon as I build up the courage, goodbye" I say as I press the end call button, listening to the radio silence of the other line.

How the hell am I going to survive this?

A/N so hey! My little ghosties (can I call you that?) I'm actually continuing this! It seemed like a really good idea to write, and I have much more to come! It was one of my best friends who actually got my to publish this!
Anyways.

Xo-C