Chapter 22: To Helms deep

Start from the beginning

"Yes, we can, lady Eowyn." answered Nestarel softly well knowing of the not-good reputation of Elves between the people of Rohan. "As Aragorn said, do not bother yourself with tending to us. We are fine."

Eowyn smiled warmly as her body relaxed by hearing the Elven lady's melodic voice. "Still It is out of our traditions to treat our guests like this." she said shyly feeling out of place in front of the beautiful woman who looked stunning even in her travel attire.

"Actually, it would be great to have some food and good ale." said Gimli trying to look polite, but failed as his friends chuckled. Eomer wanted to say something but as he opened his mouth the doors of the hall burst open and Gandalf and Theoden rushed inside. Gandalf was carrying an unconscious boy and Theoden had a little girl in his arms who looked frightened and had clung to Theoden's neck for dear life.

"Nestarel," cried Gandalf as he put the boy on a bench. Nestarel was by his side in a second. She put a hand on the unconscious boy's forehead. She closed her eyes and whispered a few words and just then the boy whined and slowly opened his eyes. His eyes grow wide and he looked around frantically searching for something or someone while trying to get up. "Freda!" he called panicked.

"Shhhh, It's alright." said Nestarel and gently helped him to lay down again. "She is safe. She is there." she said and pointed to the girl in Theoden's arms. 

The little girl wiggled in Theoden's arms and jumped out of his hold and ran to the boy. "Èothan!" she cried and took his hand.

Nestarel caressed her long golden hair kindly. "He will be fine. Don't be worried, little one." she said and then turned to Eowyn. "They need food and water." said Nestarel. Eowyn nodded and quickly gave orders to a maid. 

Several minutes later, the two kids were wrapped with blankets and were having food. They have brought food for the four friends as well, but only Gimli was eating. Nestarel has refused to eat as much as Legolas had insisted. 

"They had no warning. They were unarmed. Now the Wildmen are moving through westfold, burning as they go, every rick, cot and tree." said Ewoyn who was rubbing circles on the little girl's back. 

"This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash." said Gandalf who had sat on a chair next to the throne where Thoden had sat. "All the more potent for he is driven mad by the fear of Sauron." 

Theoden just stared at the kids silently. His brows frowned from so many thoughts. "Ride out and meet him head on. Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight." said Gandalf firmly.

Thoden stood and walked a little away from Gandalf. "I know what is that you want of me." said Theoden and glanced at Gandalf. "But I would not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war."

"Open war is upon you, whether would risk it or not." said Aragorn.

Thoden walked up to him menacingly. "When last I looked, Théoden, not Aragorn, was king of Rohan." he hissed angrily.

The air was so thick that could be cut by a knife. "What is the king's decision?" asked Eomer who was standing near the king. Thoden looked at him and his eyes softened a bit. "We will take everyone and take shelter in Helms deep." he said. "Prepare everyone."

*****

"By order of the King, the city must empty. We make for the refuge of Helm's Deep. Do not burden yourself with treasures. Take only what provisions you need." the loud voice of heralds could be heard as Legolas, Nestarel, Gimli and Aragorn followed Gandalf down the road towards the stables. 

"Helm's Deep!" scoffed Gimli as they reached the doors of stalls. "They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight. Who will defend them if not their king?"